Help: Wobbly hen with head tilting back and forth

Wolfsbane

Chirping
Aug 10, 2015
Breed: Columbian
Weight: not sure exactly but she is not to fat or to skinny.

I first noticed her acting oddly yesterday, she hate’s being touched but let me pick her up and this morning she was a little wobbly and her head keeps tilting back a bit then she brings it down only for it to happen again. I removed her from the flock and have her in the quarantine cage.

She has not pooped all morning, she has been eating and drinking a little but not with her usual enthusiasm. I cannot afford to bring her to the vet so I have to handle it myself, as she is not externally injured I do not know what to do, any advice whatsoever would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. J

UPDATE:

She has just pooped but it is formless, wet, and white with some little black spots in it.

Very sorry for your troubles.

This sounds like it could be a neurological issue, and there are various things that can cause it to start.

As birds age they can become susceptible to strokes and seizures.

It's also possible she's got a vitamin deficiency, so perhaps tracking down some Polyvisol (without iron) could help give her a boost.

Do you think you could post a video of her head movements?

MrsB

Thanks for answering, I will see if I can find this Polvisol and will try and a video right away.

Not sure if this will work since I suck at computors, can you see this video?

file:///Users/Wolfsbane/Documents/IMG_8669.MOV

UPDATE: She has been eating and drinking and walking around a bit more but she seems to have trouble aiming her beak at stuff, she try’s to put her beak in the water bowl but hit’s next to it, I have been holding the bowl and moving it to where her beak is going down so she can get a drink.

HI,
I would continue to support her with water, vitamins especially Nutri Drench for poultry, and making sure is eating the appropriate amt. of food.
she may just have to wait this out with your supportive care.

Thanks for answering,
She is fairly alert and able to walk around but her vision seems to be really bad, she eats and drinks as long as I move it under her beak when she pecks down but it seems like she might get better, I’m still concerned about the odd head movement though.

Back
Top Bottom