HELP! WORM IN CHICKEN BREAST!

jmscowgirl84

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Michigan
Ok...I have layers but don't raise meat chickens, so my meat is store bought & usually whatever is on sale. I try to buy from week known stores, praying their standards aren't THAT low.

I've seen the "SCARE" posts about worms in meat...etc...and never thought much of it, because it NEVER happened to me.

UNTIL NOW...

today I was cooking up some chicken breasts that I had frozen from their purchase back in November (almost 4 months ago)...I always look closely at my meat when I cook it, and as I'm about to flip it over I see a dent in the meat & a stringy thing that seems to have emerged from the dent. Although it was about the same color of the meat, I immediately thought, "OMG...that's a worm!?"

I can't get myself to eat anymore of that meat that was in the package together...BUT WORST PART IS...we already had 2 days ago...now I'm left stunned & nauseated...

I plan to call the store...add I took several photos of it, but STILL I eat their meat ALL the time.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Has anyone seen this in your "home raised" chicken meat?
[/IMG][/IMG]

I have never had it happen to meat on any have meat I have raised. Chicken, duck, or goose. I never buy meat at the store, but I did get a piece of manure in a can of string beans once.

I have never had it happen to meat on any have meat I have raised. Chicken, duck, or goose. I never buy meat at the store, but I did get a piece of manure in a can of string beans once.

I found what I believe to be a slice of rodent ribcage in a can of Progresso Minestrone soup once. Never a worm in my chicken meat though.

i dont think its a worm, i have seen that on many store-bought chicken breasts and i always assumed it was a leftover vein just as @tiny529 said
i usually see mine before i cook, and try to pull them out, but they are definitely attached

Last edited:
That not a worm. I see that a lot..its nothing. Store bought chicken is safe, some may not like it but its fine. Don't scare yourself;)

I"m pretty sure that's a blood vessel.

Butchering your own birds does give one a good understanding of the anatomy inside a bird. Wish everyone would give it a try once, just for that knowledge alone.

Back
Top Bottom