Help, Worms in 1-2 Week Old Chicks, How Do I Worm Them?

Ok thanks. I'm just tired. They are all very active, eating and drinking. Should I be looking for blood or? That's lots of normal poo...

Thanks. I bought some worming meds already that I think covers that....

No, dewormers will not cover that. It is abnormal to see that much intestinal lining, and they are at the age where Coccidiosis preventatives like Corid are the best route to take. Do as dawg53 stated with a treatment dose, and you'll be glad you did. Preventative dosing with Corid (5 cc or 1 level tsp per gallon) for 5 days, every 3 weeks is an effective way to build immunity to coccidiosis. You already gave 1-2 week old chicks Wazine. Don't even think about giving birds that age apple cider vinegar or that worthless trend of a powder called DE that so many amateurs believe is the holy grail for ectoparasites and endoparasites. If anything it will irritate and destroy the intestines of chicks that age, especially if too much is given. You would do well for them to supplement water with vitamin-electrolyte & probiotic powder a couple days a week, and feeding a well fortified starter/grower feed, fresh every day. Supplement water with vitamin-electrolyte & probiotic powder for 3 days straight after any medicinal treatments. You don't want to stunt their growth with "treats" and unfortified food stuffs.

I agree with the advice given by dawg53 to try Corid.

It has saved the lives of many of the chicks I have raised.

Roundworms look like thin spaghetti that is kind of stiff when you see them in the poo. They are always dead when I find them in the poo.

Shed intestinal lining is kind of like mushy blood/orangeish in color. But you shouldn't really be seeing it that often, so if you do, as the others said, best to assume it is bloody poo and give something that will treat coccidiosis. Wormers won't treat it.

Your little chicks are at the right age to be battling coccidiosis and it is a swift killer of chicks. It can kill within 24 hours and is considered an emergency.

So give it a try and keep the bottle around when you raise chicks- it is worth its weight in gold practically when you raise chicks.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Thanks all. These chicks are getting expensive :( Luckily the stuff I bought yesterday is un-opened so I can return it. I found some Corid so will treat tonite.....

The "stuff" coming out is NOT red/pink, just white.I think there is some confusion- the pic I posted had a red heat lamp one- No diahreaa, etc. Just white stuff. Now what?

Back
Top Bottom