Help! Wormy poop

fatbeamie

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Maryland
So one of my hens or the rooster left this for me this morning. Any idea what kind of worm it is and how shall I treat it?

Attachments

• Wormy poop.JPG
    Wormy poop.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
So one of my hens or the rooster left this for me this morning. Any idea what kind of worm it is and how shall I treat it?
Those are roundworms. You can treat them with safeguard dewormer. This is a link to the dewormer. Just give them a pea-sized amount on a piece of food for temptation. It says it's for horses, but we use it for chicken too.

Those are roundworms.
Treatment is with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

Correct dose for Safeguard (Fenbendazole) is 0.23ml per pound of weight. Give orally once, then repeat in 10 days to treat for Roundworm Only.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Thank you, I found ivermectin paste 1.87% is that the correct strength? Also, is it safe to eat their eggs that have been laid before I knew they had worms? I know not to eat them after we administer the ivermectin.

Thank you, I found ivermectin paste 1.87% is that the correct strength? Also, is it safe to eat their eggs that have been laid before I knew they had worms? I know not to eat them after we administer the ivermectin.
Ivermectin is not safeguard.
I believe there's like a 30 day withdrawal period for Ivermectin. It's not that an effective de-wormer. If you are treating lice/mites that will work.
What dose do you plan on using?

Probably best to return it and use Safeguard or Valbazen exactly as @Wyorp Rock directed.

Those are roundworms. You can treat them with safeguard dewormer. This is a link to the dewormer. Just give them a pea-sized amount on a piece of food for temptation. It says it's for horses, but we use it for chicken too.
Did you know that when using Safeguard or Panacur horse paste, the dose is the same as the liquid? A pea sized amount only contains 25-30 mg of fenbendazole.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-sized-blob-of-horse-paste-de-wormer.1141545/

So I know this is going to annoy everyone, but I live in MD. and they don't sell anything for deworming chickens. The only Fenbendazole I have been able to find is for either goats or horses. Is this what your suggesting I use, I bought the ivermectin because it was suggested by an employee because they didn't have anything with Fenbendazole.

So I know this is going to annoy everyone, but I live in MD. and they don't sell anything for deworming chickens. The only Fenbendazole I have been able to find is for either goats or horses. Is this what your suggesting I use, I bought the ivermectin because it was suggested by an employee because they didn't have anything with Fenbendazole.

Yes, that is what they're talking about. Here's a photo of the bottle:

33534_L_vvs_000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom