HELP....WORRIED about me 5 week old Bantam !!!

mljohnson05

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Missouri
OK...so my silver sebright bantam that is 5 1/2 weeks just started have constant diarrhea today. I know about that "poop" link and I use it all the time. They have been kept inside since we got them at 1 day old.....and they go out for 1 hour a day to free range until the coop outside is done. so they are generally in a controlled temp inside. Today I saw her pass Milk chocolate brown liquid poop ( sometimes it has no white in it) and it looks grainy (like tiny tiny bits of sand..only way i can describe it) most of the time....... and every time i check on her she does it again. so it is not the ceacal poop.
HELP ...what is wrong...she is VERY active, eats , drinks well, and plays all the time....and when i put a treat in the cage she is the first to attack it.
What can i do,,,,PLEASE sat she is not going to die??? hit
I have watched her the last 2 hours and every one is like this...but has only started this afternoon... could it be that the oatmeal with cinnamon that i had left over from our breakfast did not agree with her, or is it something more serious?

That is all i can see that is wrong, other than that she acts normal....
could this just be a bug, of stress, or a one time thing??
She does not have any mites, and no lice, and i cannot see any worms, so what is it???

I am going to say right off the bat that I am NO expert in this area. That being said I will tell you that on several occasions my chicks have had funky poop after they've been out to scrounging around. Milky, brown, grainy (personally I think it's dirt but I'm probably wrong) and sometimes projectile...stand back!
ep.gif
Lord only knows what they get into out there especially in the spring. Just think about all the tiny little bugs, larva not to mention figuring out what is food and what isn't.
sickbyc.gif

Bottom line for me is if they are eating, drinking and running around a little unusual poop isn't anything to worry about. And lastly, I don't give them scraps until they are much older, 6 month or so, and instead introduce one food at a time. i.e. freshly grated squash, lightly steamed brussel sprouts and their fav. plain pasta.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you...only thing i have given them is oatmeal, but usually it does not have cinnamon in it, and it is only 1 bird that has water poop all day....Shall see 2morrow
fl.gif

My guess is she ate a weird bug or something. You mentioned that she's the first to come and get the treats so my guess is she pecks and tries everything she runs across outside and has a tummy ache. I bet by tomorrow or the next day she'll be right as rain.
wink.png

Quote:
I have propel flavored water here....basically the same thing...will that work, all other places are closed near me???
EDIT: no sugar and it is clear and is nutrient enhanced

Last edited:
I got some packets from my local feed store that you added to water to replenish electrolytes as well as other nutrients. It cost me about $1.00 per gallon of water and is marketed specifically for fowl. I get a little leery about giving anything to my flock that is not meant for their metabolism. Is the amount of salt, sugar, vitamins etc. meant for their bodies or ours. I guess if you're going to use something that is meant for "humans" I air on the side of caution and give her something that you would give an infant like pedilite (spelling?).

ok thank you....I will get that in the morning, just everything closed in my small town, and this has NO SUGAR and NO calories, just low amounts of vitamins, like 5-10% and it has a fruit flavor, so was going to do 2 part water to 1 part propel ....cause it is night and they probable will not drink that much right now anyways since they are sleeping
hit.gif

I would like to share with you that I to am VERY attached to my chicks/chickens as well. They are my little babies and when they are sick we, my family and I, get very concerned. We have a small flock and treat them like most people would treat a dog or cat. When they were little they spent most of the day in our arms snuggling, taking trips in the car and getting to know the about the things in life most chickens wouldn't encounter in daily life. If you're anything like me it is almost an escape to sit an watch them. Our lives can get so full of blah blah blah and for me it almost like my own little zen, yoga, therapist type of thing.
duc.gif

Probably way to much TMI. Good luck and hope little dude is ok.

Back
Top Bottom