help would you eat this?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Oct 24, 2011.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    So I sat a whole frozen vacuum sealed chicken in a bowl of cold water to thaw out. Well I had errands to run and was gone 4 hours. Would you still eat it?
    Thanks!

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I would

3. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    As a certified ServSafe restaurant manager, I had much training on handling/preparing/cooking food.... if it is not allowed direct contact with the air, and is cooked to an internal temp of 160*, it is safe to eat....

4. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I don't think 4 hours is that long. Was it still cool when you found it again? If yes, then go for it. If it was room temp, then I would cook it ASAP and eat it.

5. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Wow, thanks. Like I posted it was in it's vacuum sealed bag the whole time and nothing leaked in or out (as far as water/blood). And I will most definitely cook it to the appropriate temp.
    Thanks it's in the oven!

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    oh yeah id eat it!!
    shhh dont tell but ive acually left a roast out alll night and ate it the next night (it was still cold) no one got sick so i guess it was fine

7. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:And also holding that same servsafe cert....things ARE ALLOWED to be in the "danger zone" for 4 HOURS...that "danger zone" is ABOVE 40 and BELOW 140....room temp basically....and being frozen I bet if you temp checked that water it was still pretty darn cold - it acted like it's own little ice chest...don't worry...

Of course, also for future reference, the preferred method of thawing is under refrigeration for 24 hours...blah blah blah...here's the crucial part: IT IS ALSO PERFECTLY OKAY TO THAW UNDER COLD RUNNING WATER and FAST too - I often take stuff out here at the house and let the cold water run while I feed the animals then come in to cook our dinner...just throwing that one out there for next time...

DON'T WORRY AND GO COOK THAT BIRD [​IMG]

8. Theo

Theo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    I think we should have a permanent thread called "Would You Eat This?". I have read some very interesting and often hilarious threads on iffy eats. Road kill, freezer fossils, dumpster delights--I am interested because I was raised to believe that stuff would kill ya. A year ago I had never had home slaughtered meat. This summer, we ate a dog-killed rooster (on noodles--it was great!).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:dog killed rooster LMBO!!!!!
    i butcher everything my dog kills (on my "petside" for shes killed many mice and i wouldnt eat that")
    because i know how long its been dead.

i have a duck [​IMG] 2 turkeys and a few chickensin the freezer that neighbors dogs have ripped appart [​IMG] and i have had to kill [​IMG]
    my husband is acually happy they got the duck and turkeys because i got attactched and i wouldnt do it if they were happy and healthy [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

Freezer fossils! That cracks me up. I've eaten one or two of those in my day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by