Help. Wound care for chick.

gothicpicasso

Songster
Nov 19, 2020
LA (Lower Alabama)
One of my silkie chicks has a wound on her back just above her tail. I saw her pick a fight with a d’uccle hen today. Also when I went to check on them tonight momma and her chicks had stolen my silkie hens corner she like to sleep in. I convinced momma and the chicks to move so silkie could have her spot. That’s when I found the wound. I don’t know when it happened. It was a nice size red wound and I could tell they feathers were slick looking from blood. I did seem to get any on me when I looked at it but it was dark and all I had was a phone light. The chicks are six and a half weeks old. What do I need to do to help her? Do I need to pull them out of the coop? I’d just gotten them started with integrating as a family with out any barriers. What do I treat it with? Any help will be appreciated.

As long as the other chickens see the red blood they will continue to peck her. They are attracted to red. She should be removed until it heals. I like to put a large dog crate in with the other chickens so they are still part of the flock. She also needs an antibiotic or antimicrobial spray. I like Vetericyn antimicrobial poultry spray for my girls. But there are other options out there.

As long as the other chickens see the red blood they will continue to peck her. They are attracted to red. She should be removed until it heals. I like to put a large dog crate in with the other chickens so they are still part of the flock. She also needs an antibiotic or antimicrobial spray. I like Vetericyn antimicrobial poultry spray for my girls. But there are other options out there.
Even if it’s an unweaned chick?

When one of our chicks was injured we separated the mama and all the chicks for a few days until she was better. She just had an injured leg, no bleeding.
Ok. My chick is bleeding. I’ve cleaned it with Vetericyn plus. I still had the dog kennel in my coop so I moved momma and the chicks into it after I cleaned the wound. I’ll check them again later I guess. If it’s not getting better I guess I’ll just have to bring her inside in a box by herself. I tried just putting her in the kennel and she screamed. Thanks for the advice.

I'd separate for now and try again to introduce at a later date.

As for the wound on the baby, gently clean with betadine and a cotton ball or q-tip. If you don't have betadine, use some peroxide that you have cut by 50%, then lightly coat the wound with antibiotic ointment without analgesic. If you have wound coat on hand you can spray that around and over the wound so the other birds don't peck at it. If the wound is superficial you can also just coat it with wound coat and keep an eye on it for infection but I personally would move mom and babies away from the threat at hand. Birds especially young ones are very resilient and will heal fast with gentle support from us humans.

Integrating is a lot like potty training. It takes time and patience.

If possible I wouldn't separate mom from her baby. But you will have to coat the wound so the others don't pick at it. Separation will stress all involved.

If baby will stand still for it you can apply gentle pressure to the wound with a cotton ball until bleeding stops or if you have corn starch, sprinkle corns starch on the wound. It acts like styptic pencil on a shaving wound and will stop bleeding.

Ok. I’ll keep them separate for know. I don’t have anything other than the Vetericyn Plus. I can go on the morning and get whatever else I need to. I’ve cleaned the wound and separated them. I guess that’s what I can do for now. Thank you for the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom