HELP WRONG DRAXXIN DOSAGE

KatieMae

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 11, 2012
My chickens have raspatory problems and I used draxxin and accidently doubled the dosage, luckily i caught myself after a couple chickens and stopped. Will they be ok?

No. This drug is not meant for poultry. It's a very powerful drug given as a one shot dose for large animals. Poultry metabolism is much different, and this drug should not be given.

If any harm has been done, it's likely going to be around the injection site, as this drug can cause itching and swelling. Just do not use it any more for your chickens.

No. This drug is not meant for poultry. It's a very powerful drug given as a one shot dose for large animals. Poultry metabolism is much different, and this drug should not be given.

If any harm has been done, it's likely going to be around the injection site, as this drug can cause itching and swelling. Just do not use it any more for your chickens.
I've heard mixed comments about it, but either way the dosage I calculated was .2 ml per 10 pounds, and I did .4 ml. It's been over an hour, and everyone is still doing good. Am I in the clear now?

I had never heard of this medicine before now. It says right on the label that it is for cows and pigs only. How did you give it and how much? Hopefully, they will be okay. What symptoms of a respiratory disease have you been seeing? Some respiratory infections are from viruses, a couple are bacterial, and some can be from fungus or molds. The symptoms they have can point to what it might be.

Probably not much harm will come to your chickens from this. It's a good thing a very tiny dose was given. What does the injection site look like now? Redness? Swelling? If so, dab some hydrocortisone cream on it.

Generally speaking, very few drugs are injected into chickens due to the skin of chickens being so sensitive and thin that necrosis is a significant danger.

Back
Top Bottom