HELP!! Wrong end pip?!?! (Oh No! Complications!!!)

Do you think she absorbed the moisture from the paper towels? If so, do you think she will normalize? Or will it eventually kill her?

I doubt it. I did a quick search and I couldn't find anything relating to this and I'm expecting the ducklings' mom to arrive any moment. I will search a bit more when I'm done with that. I think all you can do in the meantime is keep her warm and wait and see.
fl.gif

I'll treat her like the others and see what happens. Maybe she will normalize given time. I cant seem to find anything on it either.

I was wondering what happened to your wrong end piper. I had seen it in our March 1st hatchalong and was just about to PM you. I had the same this happened and Sumi helped me out sooo much and the lil guy lived! How is it going? I just read this whole thread, looking more normal yet?

I've done a proper search now and the only other possibility I find is that it is the yolk that she absorbed just before hatching. What does her navel look like? Is it sealed?

I was wondering what happened to your wrong end piper. I had seen it in our March 1st hatchalong and was just about to PM you. I had the same this happened and Sumi helped me out sooo much and the lil guy lived! How is it going? I just read this whole thread, looking more normal yet?

Thanks for keeping watch! Sumi has been an angel from heaven for this! Ive been biting my nails to the bone. The chick is alive and wiggling, chirping and complaining, but is still water logged looking.
I've done a proper search now and the only other possibility I find is that it is the yolk that she absorbed just before hatching. What does her navel look like? Is it sealed?

Yep, her navel is sealed, nothing sticking out. That was the first think i checked. Her 2 full siblings that died in the shell still had lots of yolk sticking out. They looked fully formed and normal compared to her. (please dont ask me to take pictures of that, its just awful to see dead baby chicks.)

I took her out of the brooder and let her sit on a warm heating pad to dry off. Shes a sticky chick...so that was fun. She is now resting in the brooder with her 2 siblings. 2/3rds of her has dried and is fluffy, but part of her chest and one wing is still got goop stuck on it. I could not get it off and I didnt want to break her skin trying.

She does not like to open her eyes. I dont know if she is blind or not. They might just be sensitive.

Time will tell
fl.gif
If she's keeping her eyes closed she's probably just sleepy. She did have a long, rough hatch! I like to tuck my newborns into a cloth of some sort or a feather duster "mommy" for comfort and let them sleep it off. Hopefully she'll be better in the morning. If she'd do a poopy that will be a good indication of what's going on inside and that area is o.k., but it's too early for that.

Time will tell
fl.gif
If she's keeping her eyes closed she's probably just sleepy. She did have a long, rough hatch! I like to tuck my newborns into a cloth of some sort or a feather duster "mommy" for comfort and let them sleep it off. Hopefully she'll be better in the morning. If she'd do a poopy that will be a good indication of what's going on inside and that area is o.k., but it's too early for that.

She did have the normal green and white gunk come off her bum. Im hoping its a good sign!!

I have a dish cloth folded so it makes a nice little cave for them to crawl into. The yellow chick (broken egg) keeps flipping over. Its going to be a loooong night.

Ive got 2 more pippers in the bator!

Last edited:
She did have the normal green and white gunk come off her bum. Im hoping its a good sign!!

I have a dish cloth folded so it makes a nice little cave for them to crawl into. The yellow chick (broken egg) keeps flipping over. Its going to be a loooong night.

Ive got 2 more pippers in the bator!
Just read the whole thread, it seems like it took forever to hatch, how many hours from pip to hatch was it? I have had the same thing happen with all that yolk not absorbed. I think mine was too much humidity Some of mine were very soggy and some didn't hatch all the way and were mushy and wet.. What was the humidity running at? Keep us posted on broken egg chick. It went through a lot to get here, not to mention your stress during hatching.

Back
Top Bottom