HELP!! Wrong end pip?!?! (Oh No! Complications!!!)

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is this chick pipping the wrong end?!?!

What should i do?!?!

This is my first hatch and first pip!

Last edited:
Don't worry, they don't make noises all the time. I think they need to conserve their energy for the rest of the hatch. I used to sit and stare at the incubator for hours and I noticed some of them don't make any noise at all, they pip, zip and hatch and then they start cheeping when they realise they are not under a mom. I feel so sorry for them when that happens. Especially when they scoot over to the side of the incubator and stare at me like "Mom?" It's hard to leave them in there!

I had a chick hatch once, my first incubator hatch. I was watching it through the viewing window and it came over to the window and jumped up and down, cheeping hysterically. So I moved over to the other viewing window and it followed me! And continued cheeping and trying to get to me. I couldn't leave it in there... I always talk to mine too. I'm not sure if they can hear me over the noise of the fan, but I talk anyway.

I saw one of my broodies talk to her unhatched egg once, it was so cute! She made there really exited clucking noises. Her egg hatched the next day!
When my DH and I raised our first lone chick he started making this clicking sound with his tongue whenever he fed the chick. Months later that chick (by then then a big, handsome roo) would come running whenever we made that sound. Then when we had friends round for the first time we'd tell them our chicken would com when we call him and they'd go "Yeah, right". And one of us would call our boy and he'd come running. The look on our friends' faces was priceless...

She is nice and dry now and resting in her own little box. She managed to wander all over the brooder so i took her out. Her feathers were dry, just not fluffy, so i just used a soft towel and "ruffed" her up. She is now resting quietly.
That's good to hear! What does her navel look like? Did it seal up o.k?

Second to last egg is confirmed dead. I was wondering about it because it was the last of Cracker's eggs. I candled it and noticed a lot of clear area inside. After tapping away at it for several minutes, and seeing no movment, I went ahead and made the decision to do an egg-topsy. The chick was dead, the yolk only half absorbed. There was an excessive amount of Albumen inside. I think it drowned. It also had the puffed up waterlogged look of Yellow chick.

So my final verdict is that Cracker does not lay viable eggs, and dropping Yellow's egg is what prolly saved his life.

As for the last egg, it started rocking again, so we are back in business! This egg is from one of my Americaunas who just started laying a short time ago. Her sibling is in the brooder jumping on the others.
Crumbs, I'm sorry to hear that. I never eggtopsy eggs, I cannot stomach it. It sounds like there is something wrong with Cracker's reproductive system. It's ironic, you were worried you killed the chick when yo dropped the egg, now it seems you helped it by doing that!

I hope this last chick hatches out o.k. Or did it hatch already?

Slippers? LOL It may have lost it's egg tooth, or maybe it cannot pip for some reason. It's been a long time since he started. I think at this stage you can open the egg at the fat end and investigate. Candle first and check if you can see the beak, then if you can make the opening near as possible to where it's beak is, it could take over from there.

I'm glad to hear little Black is doing well. These babies gave you a hard time and lots of worry. You've earned yourself a nice, problem free hatch after all this!

I had a problem when I needed the youngsters' heat lamp for the ducklings, so I switched on the heater in the small spare bedroom and made a makeshift brooder in there for them. The heater warmed the room up just enough to keep them comfortable. I am so ready to move them outside now, but we suddenly got hit with such a cold front, I won't be surprised if we got snow tonight. I'm ready for Spring...

Not chirping yet? I wonder what's going on in there. If she pipped internally she should chirp, well should, they don't always. I hope this one's not going to give you too much hassle and worry
fl.gif
You need a break now!

lau.gif
If she's this busy already, I can't wait to see her when she's hatched! Is she chirping yet?

I asked our landlord the other day about the electricity situation in the barn. He pointed out the cable going to the barn, but he couldn't show me where it ended up (the barn is full of junk - not ours) and he couldn't tell me where to turn it on inside the house either, or tell if it's actually safe! He said we must turn it on and see what happens. I don't think so!! I think I'll skip the barn and keep brooding in the house for now.

Back
Top Bottom