HELP!! Wrong end pip?!?! (Oh No! Complications!!!)

She is nice and dry now and resting in her own little box. She managed to wander all over the brooder so i took her out. Her feathers were dry, just not fluffy, so i just used a soft towel and "ruffed" her up. She is now resting quietly.

The other 2 eggs have no more rocking. Im not sure if they will make it. I havent heard any tapping or cheeps. They were rocking a couple of hours ago like Mexican Jumping Beans.

I candled the lightest one and there is nothing in the air cell I had several eggs this hatch get to the final day then die, so who knows.

Last edited:
Second to last egg is confirmed dead. I was wondering about it because it was the last of Cracker's eggs. I candled it and noticed a lot of clear area inside. After tapping away at it for several minutes, and seeing no movment, I went ahead and made the decision to do an egg-topsy. The chick was dead, the yolk only half absorbed. There was an excessive amount of Albumen inside. I think it drowned. It also had the puffed up waterlogged look of Yellow chick.

So my final verdict is that Cracker does not lay viable eggs, and dropping Yellow's egg is what prolly saved his life.

As for the last egg, it started rocking again, so we are back in business! This egg is from one of my Americaunas who just started laying a short time ago. Her sibling is in the brooder jumping on the others.

my chocolate orp did the screaming & jumping thing in the incubator, I took her out & put her in a cardboard box incubator & she screamed & threw herself against the sides of the box. I took her out & put her in a clear plastic box & it stopped immediately. My DH said she told him being in the egg was awful. That's what she told him.

She is nice and dry now and resting in her own little box. She managed to wander all over the brooder so i took her out. Her feathers were dry, just not fluffy, so i just used a soft towel and "ruffed" her up. She is now resting quietly.
That's good to hear! What does her navel look like? Did it seal up o.k?

Second to last egg is confirmed dead. I was wondering about it because it was the last of Cracker's eggs. I candled it and noticed a lot of clear area inside. After tapping away at it for several minutes, and seeing no movment, I went ahead and made the decision to do an egg-topsy. The chick was dead, the yolk only half absorbed. There was an excessive amount of Albumen inside. I think it drowned. It also had the puffed up waterlogged look of Yellow chick.

So my final verdict is that Cracker does not lay viable eggs, and dropping Yellow's egg is what prolly saved his life.

As for the last egg, it started rocking again, so we are back in business! This egg is from one of my Americaunas who just started laying a short time ago. Her sibling is in the brooder jumping on the others.
Crumbs, I'm sorry to hear that. I never eggtopsy eggs, I cannot stomach it. It sounds like there is something wrong with Cracker's reproductive system. It's ironic, you were worried you killed the chick when yo dropped the egg, now it seems you helped it by doing that!

I hope this last chick hatches out o.k. Or did it hatch already?

Nope, the last egg is still rocking this morning. Not sure why she is taking so long, maybe she lost her slippers?!

Little Black is doing OK. She is resting in a box under the brood light. She can hear the other chicks, but I wont put her in with them until she can walk more on her own. I dont want her picked on like Lil' Blue did.

Last edited:
Slippers? LOL It may have lost it's egg tooth, or maybe it cannot pip for some reason. It's been a long time since he started. I think at this stage you can open the egg at the fat end and investigate. Candle first and check if you can see the beak, then if you can make the opening near as possible to where it's beak is, it could take over from there.

I'm glad to hear little Black is doing well. These babies gave you a hard time and lots of worry. You've earned yourself a nice, problem free hatch after all this!

Youre telling me!! All week I think I got 1 hour of real sleep! hahaha

Im now in a pickle with where all these birds are going to go. Ive got 5 cornish chicks that are 3 weeks old, 7 new babies all in the same brooder, but divided. The 5 cornish were kinda pushed on me because someone hatched them early, and though i had ordered some, i was not expecting them until late April. So here I am ahead of schedule! Its too cold outside to make a place for them yet....the next few weeks are going to get very interesting.

As for the last egg, its still wiggling. No chirping yet. If nothing happens by tonight, Ill take a look. I candled it last night and I didnt see a beak in the air cell, so I'll giver her a few more hours. She is still alive after all.

I had a problem when I needed the youngsters' heat lamp for the ducklings, so I switched on the heater in the small spare bedroom and made a makeshift brooder in there for them. The heater warmed the room up just enough to keep them comfortable. I am so ready to move them outside now, but we suddenly got hit with such a cold front, I won't be surprised if we got snow tonight. I'm ready for Spring...

Not chirping yet? I wonder what's going on in there. If she pipped internally she should chirp, well should, they don't always. I hope this one's not going to give you too much hassle and worry
fl.gif
You need a break now!

Yeah we are still dealing with bad weather, today and tomorrow are going to be the warmest days Ive seen in MONTHS, and Im not kidding, its been very cold. We are still getting -6C at night, thats 21F. The cornish though are feathering out really fast though, faster than my Australorps did. At 3 weeks they are nearly filled in. Although i do suspect 3 are roos, which I wont be able to keep at all. I think in 2 weeks I should be able to sex them and then find homes for them appropriately. Then maybe that will solve the room issue somewhat lol. Im crossing my fingers for good weather! We just dont have the space for another brooder, and honestly, I was not expecting 7 hatches! I expected maybe 3 to survive lol. So here I am, 4 chicks extra and perhaps one more on the way! Chicken math is really something else!

Little Miss Late Pants is still rocking like a music star in there. This is one of my Americaunas eggs, so who knows what she could be doing. My Americaunas (suspected EEs cuz they lay white eggs) are such drama queens.

Back
Top Bottom