HELP!! Wrong end pip?!?! (Oh No! Complications!!!)

Don't worry, they don't make noises all the time. I think they need to conserve their energy for the rest of the hatch. I used to sit and stare at the incubator for hours and I noticed some of them don't make any noise at all, they pip, zip and hatch and then they start cheeping when they realise they are not under a mom. I feel so sorry for them when that happens. Especially when they scoot over to the side of the incubator and stare at me like "Mom?" It's hard to leave them in there!

Oh I know!! that look you get from them when they see you for the first time!!

"Why wont you hold me?!"
hit.gif

Breaks my heart!! I talk to them a LOT so they will know my voice. When i take them out I talk more and hold them close to me so they can hear my heart. Such a lonely way to be born!

I had a chick hatch once, my first incubator hatch. I was watching it through the viewing window and it came over to the window and jumped up and down, cheeping hysterically. So I moved over to the other viewing window and it followed me! And continued cheeping and trying to get to me. I couldn't leave it in there... I always talk to mine too. I'm not sure if they can hear me over the noise of the fan, but I talk anyway.

I use a low voice and a high voice, I whistle to them too. I also say "chickchickchick" to get them used to the sound. I wish i knew what sounds a mother hen made to them as they hatched.

I saw one of my broodies talk to her unhatched egg once, it was so cute! She made there really exited clucking noises. Her egg hatched the next day!
When my DH and I raised our first lone chick he started making this clicking sound with his tongue whenever he fed the chick. Months later that chick (by then then a big, handsome roo) would come running whenever we made that sound. Then when we had friends round for the first time we'd tell them our chicken would com when we call him and they'd go "Yeah, right". And one of us would call our boy and he'd come running. The look on our friends' faces was priceless...

Well, she finally got out of the shell, but compared to the other chicks who were vigorous and running around immediately after hatching, she is just laying there gasping.

Heres a pic. Looks like some yolk still in there.

Last edited:
She started around 7am.

Chick #1 came out 7 hours after pipping. They all were pretty quick except for Blue and Yellow and this one (Black)

I only saw your pic now, for some reason it didn't show up earlier. It looks like she had a tiny amount of yolk left to absorb. How is she now?

Back
Top Bottom