Help! Wry Neck?

Vora

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Approx 3-week-old Silkie chick. She lives in an outdoor brooder with 3 other chicks, enclosed coop-brooder with heat lamp, access to a run during the day. Woke up this morning, went out to check on the chicks, and the little silkie was slightly separated from the others, cheeping loudly and running in circles. Her head is tilted to her left, and while she can almost straighten it, she cannot even remotely turn it to the right. Her balance is off, probably because of the angle of her head. Seems fine otherwise, complaining loudly when I pick her up, trying to sort things out on her own. I currently have her bundled up on my lap after a warm bath - for lack of something else to help her - in one of my people-sized towels. Is this wry neck? What else could it be? She doesn't seem injured in any way, otherwise. Wait! Her eye on her left side is closed, and I can't seem to get her to open it...

Edit: Got her to open her eye. May have been the damp feathers poking it or something >.>

Last edited:
Anyone?! I dried her in front of the space heater, and she seems to be getting used to getting around like this, but it hasn't changed!

I had a wry neck last year and I used childrens liquid vitamins twice a day along with some vit E with selenium.
We also put electrolytes in the water for a few months. Lot's of information on the threads here on byc.

She did pull through. Good luck.

Sorry it took so long for the update. Little silkie -we call her Fwuffy D Bird - was just fine; a pint of yogurt, tons of cuddles, and 48 hours later. She still tends to tilt her head more to the left than to the right, but she is capable of turning it as she should.
smile.png

There's been several threads on it in the last few days. I don't know if it's wry neck but head tilt they say can be caused by a crimp, an ear infection or a vitamine deficiency. Seems many correct themselves but most require some additional vitamin supplement like Poly Vi Sol. I had heard in one crimp case somewhere else fixed with massage although I don't know how I would do that with an itty bitty chicken.

Quote:
i JUST had one hatch out .. a little Ameraucana (from shipped eggs).. it has a really bad case of wry neck.. the top of the chick's head is touching it's back. I may end up having to cull this one. It's probably genetic from what I have read.. I'll try the poly vi sol since i have some on hand.. I have vit E but I dont think mine has selenium.. so may have to make a walmart trip in the morning.. I just hope none of the others have it when they hatch.. culling one from shipped eggs is bad enough.. would hate to have to cull the entire hatch!

2nd Ameraucana has hatched and is doing fine.. also had a little Orpington (different seller) hatch out fine..
Hopefully I only have one wry neck baby in this hatch... actually.. 1 is more than enough

Vora I hope your baby continues to improve.. hopefully all the suggestions also help my little chick get over this

Back
Top Bottom