Help X2 uggh

coachwife2004

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
alright I need some advice on two counts, first I have 5 cochin hens which are well behaved except one the rebel! Every night the hens go in the coop around dark thirty and I close them up till morning, well last night I was missing a black hen we searched high and low no chicken.... I was sure she would never be seen again! Then today there she was taking a dirt bath in the yard she went back with the flock, tonight no hen again can't find her anywhere! I don't know what to do with her if she survives the night. Second my hens are 9 months old I keep lay feed out for them always but they are free roaming, they began to lay in the summer and were doing great now no eggs! The temp is comfortable and I have 4 boxes for 5 hens I have one hen that sits constantly even though there is nothing in the box and I have no roo! What to do any advice will be helpful thanks!

Quote:
The runaway hen is probably roosting in a tree, bush or something like that. When you find her lock her in the coop for several days. That should teach her where home is.

This is the time of year when there is less light, and chickens will molt in the fall as well. Both can cause a decrease in egg production.
You could add light in the coop

Imp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom