Help!!!Year old hen wont eat and lose balance.

Pics

lukiepookie

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2019
I have a year old hen who neck is sticking out its neck and its head is tilted to the side. It walks fine but has trouble balancing and when it goes to peck at food it misses. We noticed this about a week ago and I've been giving her water with electrolytes and trying to feed her her normal food. Her poop is like dirrareaha and its green. Anybody know what's wrong!!??

Can she still holding her wings ok (not drooping or anything)? Does she keep her eyes open, closed, or somewhere in between? How long ago has she been acting like this?
She has been acting like this for about a week now, yesterday I soaked her mineral food in electrolyte water and fed it to her. Her wings seem fine, she only uses them when she leans back and loses balance. And she seems to be sleeping/closing her eyes often.

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 20190323_171522.jpg
    20190323_171522.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 25
What did you give mineral oil for? Does she have a crop problem? Mineral oil can cause diarrhea. Does he neck stay crooked all the time? If the neck is crooked, it could be a condition called wry neck or torticolis. Edited to say that it looked like mineral oil, but it was “normal food.”

Wry neck is a neurological symptom that may be caused by a head injury, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, heredity, and is seen in several diseases such Mareks disease and a few others. Selenium which is found in egg, can be given in food in small amounts.

It is treated with vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus 1/4 tablet daily of vitamin B complex which contains thiamine. Other chick vitamins can be used as well, but the vitamin E needs to be given in a large amount. Make sure that she can get enough to eat and drink, or you might need to mix a bowl of wet chicken feed, a bit of cooked egg for selenium, and offer water 3 times a day.

Last edited:
With imbalance and wry neck Mareks disease could be a possibility. Symptoms can vary in all birds, but some may have weakness in a leg, sit on hocks and have curled under toes, eye changes, tumors, and other signs. Hopefully, it is just wry neck from another cause, and not Mareks. Here is some reading about Mareks disease:
https://extension.psu.edu/mareks-disease-in-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
I'm pretty sure she was vaccinated against mareks. I will do what you said and give her vitamin E and and egg and lots of water, I'll check back in here tonight.Thank you very much!
Also when I bring her outside she takes awhile, but she starts to walk around and peck at the ground. But when I put the food in front of her she pecks at it lightly and misses to the right by about 1 inch. Again, thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom