Help!!!Year old hen wont eat and lose balance.

Pics

lukiepookie

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2019
I have a year old hen who neck is sticking out its neck and its head is tilted to the side. It walks fine but has trouble balancing and when it goes to peck at food it misses. We noticed this about a week ago and I've been giving her water with electrolytes and trying to feed her her normal food. Her poop is like dirrareaha and its green. Anybody know what's wrong!!??

What did you give mineral oil for? Does she have a crop problem? Mineral oil can cause diarrhea. Does he neck stay crooked all the time? If the neck is crooked, it could be a condition called wry neck or torticolis. Edited to say that it looked like mineral oil, but it was “normal food.”

Wry neck is a neurological symptom that may be caused by a head injury, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, heredity, and is seen in several diseases such Mareks disease and a few others. Selenium which is found in egg, can be given in food in small amounts.

It is treated with vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus 1/4 tablet daily of vitamin B complex which contains thiamine. Other chick vitamins can be used as well, but the vitamin E needs to be given in a large amount. Make sure that she can get enough to eat and drink, or you might need to mix a bowl of wet chicken feed, a bit of cooked egg for selenium, and offer water 3 times a day.

Last edited:
Take a look at her eyes to see if they are the same normal color and that both have round pupils. Mareks sometimes can still occur even after having the vaccine. Wry neck without Mareks is more common than with Mareks, so that is a good thing. The fact that she can walk around is also good. Let us know how she is getting along.

The crop contents could go up through the choanal slit up into the sinuses and out of the eye sockets, I suppose.

upload_2019-4-11_16-20-23.jpeg

Thank you very much:hugsDo you have any idea if it's ok if my chickens stuff in her crop it's like water, comes out her eyes and nose when I puke her?
Like Eggcessive said, vomiting a chicken can be very dangerous. You need to determine which type of crop problem she has and go from there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom