Help!!!Year old hen wont eat and lose balance.

Take a look at her eyes to see if they are the same normal color and that both have round pupils. Mareks sometimes can still occur even after having the vaccine. Wry neck without Mareks is more common than with Mareks, so that is a good thing. The fact that she can walk around is also good. Let us know how she is getting along.

What do you feed her? That's an important question.

I don't know if your autocorrect changed "normal food" to "mineral food', but if it didn't, stop giving her mineral oil.
It auto corrected to mineral. I dont know the exact brand but it looks like pellets.

Take a look at her eyes to see if they are the same normal color and that both have round pupils. Mareks sometimes can still occur even after having the vaccine. Wry neck without Mareks is more common than with Mareks, so that is a good thing. The fact that she can walk around is also good. Let us know how she is getting along.
Will do when I get home. Thank you.

Her pupils look fine and the same size

@Eggcessive now when I bring her out she leans back supporting herself on her tail shaking her feet
Here are some pictures.
20190325_162538.jpg
20190325_162542.jpg

I have a very similar thing happening with my 1 year old hen. I took her to the vet and he was confident it was a bacterial brain infection. He gave her antibiotic but after 4 days of it and 10 days total of being sick she is no better but no worst. We are trying another antibiotic to see if it works. Good luck. Our hens' symptoms are so similar I wouldnt be surprised if they have the same thing.

If memory serves me correct, the Marek's disease and the Marek's Vaccine are two different things. Even though the vaccine is not the same as Marek's disease they vaccinate them hoping since it's simular, it might help build up some little bit of resistance to the actual Marek's that chickens get.. Just like with flu vaccines, they seldom get the strain right and therefore the vaccine is as useless as teats on a boar hog. I've had a few with Marek's to get down bad, then have them recover completely, but they will always be carriers of it and I keep them seperated. Try reading up on it. I certainly hope she recovers. I'll be saying some prayers for your little girl.
:hugs

That does not look good. Is she sitting on her hocks? Is she still able to walk? Can she lie down on her chest to rest? I hope that she is better in the morning.
Shes balancing herself on her hocks, she can still walk but after 5 or so steps she loses balance and leans back. We have her in a dog kennel with a crate with hay where she is able to lie down on her chest. Will come back here when I check on her. Thank you.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom