HELP!!!!! YOUNG MUSOVY DUCK IS ILL!!

When they aren't well they can chill easily, so make sure to keep her dry and warm. How scary to see her and think she had died, Relieved to hear she didn't. Do you have any idea what she could have eaten that posioned her?
I'm not sure. They like to eat a lot of rice, so we feed them plenty of it however sometimes they have left overs and I'm thinking maybe some of those leftovers went bad and that's how she got sick. Just saw her and she's around the same as she was earlier. Its definitely been past 48 hours now, so should she be able to recover on her own if she had botlusim, or should we help her

UPDATE:

She wasn't eating or drinking much, and was mostly sitting, moving her neck a bit. We gave ser some warmer water and we just chekced on her. She is moving her neck more, she has it outstretched (it was tucked in) and she is trying to stand. It seems like she has greatly regained mobility in her legs! However her feet are still messed up. She tried to stand, but her feet aren't straight, they're folded in a strange way and its not letting her stand. Why are her feet acting so strangely?

I'm wondering if this could be a nutritional deficiency. Since there is no specialized duck food in Bolivia, they have been eating a diet based on free roaming and a speacial yellow mice grain for poultry sold in markets. But the grain ran out around a month ago so we've been feeding them rice since then. What other foods could we give th em to make sure they are healthy and dont suffer from deficiency?

@2Gerootheducky , I read your private message, but I did not read the whole context of the thread, so please excuse any redundancy.
The treatment I suggest and personally do for all sick birds I deal with is mentioned below.
With birds not eating adequately, we should compensate for the predicted loss of metabolic heat output by increasing the ambient temperature in their pen ( in most cases that will be near 80F).
If you have a scale on hand, I also suggest weighing the bird daily each morning to determine if there is a dramatic decrease in weight, which would require supplemental tube feeding.
To keep the bird adequately hydrated, you can offer a warm electrolyte fluid, or sports drink diluted down often. In the case the bird is not willing to drink at all, we would have to be more dramatic with our measures to correct the fluid deficits ( tube feeding for example).
In almost every case, the simple measures of keeping the bird adequately fed, warm, and hydrated is the most vital part of dealing with sick birds.
The diet you are feeding is not perfect, so there could be a nutritional-related issue. In that case, I would try to find a nutritional supplement preferably for birds, but if you find one for babies without iron that might work.

@2Gerootheducky , I read your private message, but I did not read the whole context of the thread, so please excuse any redundancy.
The treatment I suggest and personally do for all sick birds I deal with is mentioned below.
With birds not eating adequately, we should compensate for the predicted loss of metabolic heat output by increasing the ambient temperature in their pen ( in most cases that will be near 80F).
If you have a scale on hand, I also suggest weighing the bird daily each morning to determine if there is a dramatic decrease in weight, which would require supplemental tube feeding.
To keep the bird adequately hydrated, you can offer a warm electrolyte fluid, or sports drink diluted down often. In the case the bird is not willing to drink at all, we would have to be more dramatic with our measures to correct the fluid deficits ( tube feeding for example).
In almost every case, the simple measures of keeping the bird adequately fed, warm, and hydrated is the most vital part of dealing with sick birds.
The diet you are feeding is not perfect, so there could be a nutritional-related issue. In that case, I would try to find a nutritional supplement preferably for birds, but if you find one for babies without iron that might work.
Ok, thank you so much for replying @Issac_0

Back
Top Bottom