In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Summer is Here!
tumblr_m7dd8rrJ2E1r2wrwho1_500.jpg

and that means the heat is here too!
Here are some tips to keep your flock cool during the hot weather

Feel free to add your own ideas in the comments

-Fill up one gallon jugs with cold water and put them in your coop, the chickens can lay beside them or on top to cool off easily

-Use a small fan in your coop

-Put ice cubes in their waterer

-Feed them cold yogurt or other cold foods

-Keep them HYDRATED with lots of water and Watermelon!

I hope this helps!
Have a fun and safe summer BYC!
jumpy.gif

I freeze one gallon jugs of water and place them in the coop. A fan behind the jugs moves the colder air around a bit. This is especially effective at night and can really help reduce the heat in a small space like a tractor.

Shade is a must. Our coop is in the shade but part of the run is full sun. If it's too hot, use a tarp to create shade. Make sure the shiny side of the tarp is up to deflect the sun. Spraying water on top the tarp or on coop top will help, too.

When it's really hot, I turn on a fan in the run. The girls don't like being wet but I'll spray a mist from the hose in the front of the fan and they'll get just a misting of water to cool them down. A large pan or small pool for water helps if they'll walk through it.

Watermelon, frozen berries, etc. are good treats. Electrolytes in water if it's really super hot and they seem to be suffering. They're calling for a heat wave the next few days so guess I better get some stuff in the freezer!

Back
Top Bottom