Help, zip stop, membranes darkening, best way to assist?

eclecktic1

Songster
Mar 1, 2017
Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia
Egg pipped around 10:30 pm last night.

I noticed around 11 this morning the pipping hole seemed larger, if not exactly moving around the egg. I wasn't too worried because I could still hear peeping, but it seems to have been from my one other egg that wants to hatch.

Now there is shell gone around a line about a third of the way around the egg, it's broader than I would consider a zip to be. It's been 2 hours since I noticed any real change and I wouldn't really be too concerned this early if I didn't think it was darkening membranes I was seeing.

Is it too early to assist?

What's the best way?

The humidity in the incubator is 69%

Last edited:
Egg pipped around 10:30 pm last night.

I noticed around 11 this morning the pipping hole seemed larger, if not exactly moving around the egg. I wasn't too worried because I could still hear peeping, but it seems to have been from my one other egg that wants to hatch.

Now there is shell gone around a line about a third of the way around the egg, it's broader than I would consider a zip to be. It's been 2 hours since I noticed any real change and I wouldn't really be too concerned this early if I didn't think it was darkening membranes I was seeing.

Is it too early to assist?

What's the best way?

The humidity in the incubator is 69%

If it is truly zipping and stalled and the membranes are drying I would attempt to start an assist by pulling it out and with tweezers chipping the shell away to continue the pip. Non pain relief antibiotic ointment, Vaseline or coconut oil can be applied lightly to the membrane to moisten it and it will help you see any veining. If there is no veining/blood and the yolk is absorbed you can do a complete assist and help it out. If not, make sure the membrane is moistened and replace the egg to give it more time. I would also stick a crumpled wet paper towel or clean sponge in to keep the humidity up while opening the incubator.

Thank you.

I did as you said, opening the incubator as small as I could to remove the distressed egg. I had warm wet paper towels to wrap the egg in to begin moistening the membranes. I lightly tapped on the egg an there was no answering peep or movement, so despite my suspicions of the worst, I went ahead and removed the membranes and finished the zip. The chick had died almost half way around. It had been able to knock shell off, but not pierce the membrane past where it had initially pipped. It either drowned as it turned because of not piercing the membrane or suffocated because it blocked the airflow from the pip.

The blood vessels had all receded, so it was fully ready to hatch.

Thank you.

I did as you said, opening the incubator as small as I could to remove the distressed egg. I had warm wet paper towels to wrap the egg in to begin moistening the membranes. I lightly tapped on the egg an there was no answering peep or movement, so despite my suspicions of the worst, I went ahead and removed the membranes and finished the zip. The chick had died almost half way around. It had been able to knock shell off, but not pierce the membrane past where it had initially pipped. It either drowned as it turned because of not piercing the membrane or suffocated because it blocked the airflow from the pip.

The blood vessels had all receded, so it was fully ready to hatch.
very sorry to hear that it didnt make it
are there others in there?
how is your humidity now?

The one hatched chick seems to be peeping to the other eggs. It was really active at first, then made its way to a gap between eggs to settle down for a nap and cheeps now and then.

The humidity dropped to 65% and seems to be holding at 69%. I switched out wet sponges to try make it get up more in the low 70s.

The other eggs don't show any signs of pipping. Day 23 started at 6pm this evening.

Back
Top Bottom