Help Zippers Are Drying Out

When chicks are large and bloated it is usually from having incubated them at too high humidity. Once they are to day 19-21, pip and are hatching, the humidity shouldn't cause bloating.

If there is condensation on the glass the humidity is at least 70%. That's plenty high....Just leave them be to hatch now. Good luck....keep us posted!!

58415_dsc01867.jpg

its hard to tell but here it is...still no movement no noise just laying there....that egg is not connected but stuck and i didnt want to hurt the little guy any more than i already have.

It is called a hygrometer, yes. And since you opened the top of the incubator to help the one chick, you will probably have to help the others. At least that is how it's worked for me in the past.

I have similar problems with my chicks getting stuck inside the shell, and I've had some with membrane and shell stuck to their feathers so hard I had to cut or pull the feathers off to remove the chick. We have extremely low humidity issues, as well as huge temperature fluctuations in our house between day and night, so I think that is the problem here. That plus having an old cheap incubator...
I have not hatched many chicks yet that I have not had to help.
hmm.png
I get less than 50% hatch rates, and then have to help about 2/3 of them chicks. The others just pop right out on their own when I'm not even expecting them to.

I hope you can get it figured out, hatching problems are no fun.
sad.png

It's good to know that too much humidity can make the chicks swell. I didn't know that!

Quote:
Ooo, I have to talk to you. I live in the desert too. I hear all these lovely stories of people hatching eggs, and I'm having the darnest time with mine!

Amyrains--your hatched babies are beautiful.
smile.png
I'm glad some of them are fine. How are the others doing? I wish I could help more, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for you...

well we now have 15 out 21 that have hatched!
clap.gif
the one that was having such a hard time didnt make it:hit and i did have to help one more at it is doing just fine. i sure hope this process get alittle less stressful in the future! thanks all who helped
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom