Help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bobn777, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Bobn777

Bobn777 New Egg

May 27, 2015
    Fines Creek, NC
    Since I last posted on here and got so many great replies, I lost one of my hens to and unknown illness or old age. I picked up 4 more Golden Comets and was experiencing great egg production! I understand at this time of year and light molting things would slow down and did.

Now one of the hens is sick, she hops on one leg and the other hens were running her off when she tried to eat or drink. I fed her separately for a couple of days, she got stronger and the other hens and my rooster are more accepting of her.

I have no idea what her illness is and the other hens have completely stopped laying. It has been a week. Any ideas?? Should I separate her? One book I was reading suggested I should have put her down immediately.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I honestly don't know but chicken society is brutal if they detect weakness or sickness in a flock member.

Ct

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What symptoms did your hen display before passing? She may have been egg bound. With the current hen that hops, does she show any injury to feet, or legs? If you think they may still bully her away from food or water, please set up another feed/water station so she has one.

5. Bobn777

Bobn777 New Egg

May 27, 2015
    Fines Creek, NC
    What would I be looking for? My brother's fiance and I were checking out her feet, didn't notice anything.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    This is an excellent thread on bumble, lots of pictures. And if you need to do surgery, the how-to part is very helpful.

7. Bobn777

Bobn777 New Egg

May 27, 2015
    Fines Creek, NC
    Diva,
    The other hen became lethargic and basically just wasted away. Wouldn't eat or drink. I finally put her out of her misery. This was prior to me getting the new younger hens. I currently have two older hens that have quit laying (age unknown), one Rhode Island Red and the other a Golden.

I then picked up 4 Goldens that were supposed to be 12 months old. The current sick one is one of these younger ones.

8. Bobn777

Bobn777 New Egg

May 27, 2015
    Fines Creek, NC
    Just looked at the thread on bumble foot...she does not have that.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for your loss. How are your other birds doing? Were you ever able to figure out what was going on with them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by