HELP!

If you want to be more specific than "red mixed breed chicken," just label them as RIR X CQ chicks, which gives people specific information about the bird they are buying. If people ask what that means, explain that they are a mix of a RIR X a specific known hybrid mix, essentially a second generation mix with no predictable outcome whatsoever. There's nothing wrong with a mix breed chicken, as long as that is how they are represented at sale. They will be fabulous birds that will serve the purpose that most people want, which is to produce great eggs. It is also important to let people know that you cannot predict which will be hens and which will be roosters, so don't select based on the CQ's sex-linked qualities.

X 2 --- an alternative labeling would be red barnyard mix.

Is there a difference in price on selling them as chicks and older having a name versus not?
That depends on the buyer. From my perspective, I might be willing to pay a dollar more for a mixed breed chick if I knew what breeds were in its mix, but only if money weren't tight and I was really curious, as they really aren't worth more. People with less knowledge about the unpredictability of breeding hybrids might be willing to pay more. But the vast majority of buyers have no idea what the market value of a chick or started pullet/cockerel is worth, and the price that they're willing to pay has absolutely nothing to do with the actual value of the animal. That is why good quality standard bred chicks from good breeders are so underpriced compared to hatchery quality chicks. Chicks are worth whatever you can convince the buyer they are worth. It's all about demand, and marketing.

Back
Top Bottom