HELP!

krystine819

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016

Please help. I just went to check on my broody hens who are laying on eggs that are on about day 18 or 19. I found an egg cracked open with a fully developed chick inside still attached to the membrane and the yolk. I must have caught it just in time because it was still moist. I hurried and grabbed it and brought it inside and since i don't have an incubator, i placed it in a dish (with the egg shell, membrane, yolk) with a warm wet cloth and put plastic wrap over the top with some air holes. i then put a heat lamp on it and already the plastic wrap is starting to fog up. Im pretty certain that the chick isn't going to make it because i think i once read that if a chick leaves the egg without fully absorbing the yolk they will die. I just wonder if there is absolutely anything i can do to maybe have even the smallest chance of saving this little baby or if it just being out of the shell at all without its yolk means it is suffering?

Last edited:
When that happens there isn't much you can do. Just make sure it stays warm and moist. And if it doesn't improve in about a day then the best you can do is put it out of its misery.

Back
Top Bottom