HELP

FlyWheel

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 19, 2016
35.111165 -81.226586
My Coop
My Coop
I've seen many really nice and fancy coops here on BYC, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I am looking for scrolled fascia boards (OOPS, my bad, they're actually called bargeboards or sometimes vergeboards!) for my new coop. For those of you not familiar with the term, the fascia bargeboard is the board that goes along the edge of the roof, like so (this one's even scrolled!)...

Now you would think that here, in the middle of South Carolina's "Olde English District", where flamboyant Victorian style architecture abounds that this would be an easy thing to find, right?
Wrong.
he.gif
All I can find is the painfully boring plain 'ol straight $#!t. Lowe's and Home Depot are worse than useless, they don't even carry it in their on-line catalogs!

Does anyone know a source of this kind of fascia decorative bargeboards? Wood is preferred and obviously It would be nice if I could go and pick it up myself, but mail order is acceptable if that's my only choice.

As noted above, I live in South Carolina, about 40 miles north of Columbia.
(For exact location copy'paste the Lat/Long under my avatar into your favorite map program).
old.gif
Thank y'all in advance.

Last edited:
If you can't find any in ye olde shoppes, maybe you could draw your own template, get a boring old straight one and then fashion one, using a jigsaw?

CTKen has the most practical idea if you have the skill and tools. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Side note: My dad framed custom homes in NE TX for 50 years and he has always called them "fascia" boards or the "fascia".

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not going to be something you'd find at the big box stores.
I did some searching out of curiosity.....fascia is indeed an proper term, although there are others....seems to be a big thing in the UK.
Gingerbread is another term that might help.
It's probably going to be a custom milling, or a high end specialty item in the historical building arena at the least...hope you got big bucks.
It would probably take you less time to make it yourself than find it and cost a heck of a lot less..not sure why you think you need a router.

Check out Van Dykes Restorers website. They're my source for replica hardware when I can't find enough matching antique pieces and they have a great selection of architectural mouldings and such including decorative gable end accents.

Check out Van Dykes Restorers website. They're my source for replica hardware when I can't find enough matching antique pieces and they have a great selection of architectural mouldings and such including decorative gable end accents.
Alas, no. It looks as though if I want it I'll have to make it. I know the stuff is still used, and can;'t believe it's all custom made (or shipped from the other side of the world!)

If you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area it might be a place to find your treasure. If you don't care to do it yourself, ask around - someone you know is sure to know a retired person who loves to do woodworking - you would give them an interesting project to do plus they would probably not charge as much as a commercial place. Or barter services for eggs or something they might need help with.

Back
Top Bottom