HELP!

ChickNanny13

Enabler
10 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
Here's my "problem"....I got 5 Wyandotte pullets (est 34wks) that I got when they were 28wks. The lady I got them from had them on Layer although they were not laying, she told me to keep them on it as they will be laying soon. Well, they're still not laying & reading threads on BYC, decided to switch them to Flock Raiser w/Oyster Shells on the side until they start laying, then finish up the bag of (DuMor) layer I have & possible keeping them on FR.

I did a change on Nov 20, feeding FF I just mixed the FS into the remaining mix. They also get lettuce throw aways every day, always ate all their feedings until yesterday. They'll eat from my hand but not their dish, they get fresh water everyday, stopped their treats....Left their food in their enclosure last night, this morning it was all gone. Is it the FR or spoiled chickens?

A bit concerned, they're not acting any different; dust bathing, scratching but less poop for sure. They did have some grass clipping the other day, could that be it? Gave them in the past but just read it's not good as it can cause a clogged system :( Any advice and opinion would greatly be appreciated, Thank you in advance and you all have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

When you feed a higher protein feed they will often eat less. Foraging birds will also eat less. I wouldn't worry too much. My birds feed consumption changes daily, some days the dishes are empty, other days they can be almost full.

I don't feed layer anymore either, and I don't care for Dumor feeds, my chickens wouldn't touch them and they didn't smell good. Perhaps your birds filled up on the better feed.

As far as laying, Wyandotte can be slow to start, most of mine don't start until about 7 months of age.

[COLOR=333333]Here's my "problem"....I got 5 Wyandotte pullets (est 34wks) that I got when they were 28wks. The lady I got them from had them on Layer although they were not laying, she told me to keep them on it as they will be laying soon.  Well, they're still not laying & reading threads on BYC, decided to switch them to Flock Raiser w/Oyster Shells on the side until they start laying, then finish up the bag of (DuMor) layer I have & possible keeping them on FR.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I did a change on Nov 20, feeding FF I just mixed the FS into the remaining mix. They also get lettuce throw aways every day, always ate all their feedings until yesterday. They'll eat from my hand but not their dish, they get fresh water everyday, stopped their treats....Left their food in their enclosure last night, this morning it was all gone. Is it the FR or spoiled chickens?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]A bit concerned, they're not acting any different; dust bathing, scratching but less poop for sure.  They did have some grass clipping the other day, could that be it?  Gave them in the past but just read it's not good as it can cause a clogged system :(  Any advice and opinion would greatly be appreciated, Thank you in advance and you all have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING![/COLOR]
I forgot to add that my chickens have always had access to all the grass clippings they want and I use them in my bantam run for deep litter as well as handing them out like candy. I haven't had any crop problems from grass clipping. I even give my chickens hay to forage through in the winter.

I forgot to add that my chickens have always had access to all the grass clippings they want and I use them in my bantam run for deep litter as well as handing them out like candy. I haven't had any crop problems from grass clipping. I even give my chickens hay to forage through in the winter.

Thanks for that, I was thinking I've "killed" my girls. They ate from my hand & some from their dish today. Last night left the feed & it was gone this morning, left feed again maybe they'll eat it up. Don't know what's causing the change?

When I switched from Dumore to Flock Raiser, I had about half a bag of the laying pellets left, so I tried to feed them to the girls. They were having none of it. They really like the Flock Raiser. They are eating less, too.

When I switched from Dumore to Flock Raiser, I had about half a bag of the laying pellets left, so I tried to feed them to the girls. They were having none of it. They really like the Flock Raiser. They are eating less, too.

That's so nice to know, I was ready to change feed again. They ate the feed I left out last night & there's more poop on the poop board so they must be eating. Yeah, I don't care for the smell of the DuMor & their poop smelled more, if that's possible. They really gobbled up the FR when I first started, made me feel good but got nervous when they started eating less.

Read several threads, guess this does happen but would think they'd eat more when the weather cooled. Since I'm not the only with this "problem" I'm not as concerned anymore. Thank you EVERYONE that responded/responds

Back
Top Bottom