Help

davidbaker122

Hatching
Dec 16, 2016
Okay so for the last 2 days one of my hens was in the list state of almost looking like it's dead. It's winter here and cold, so I thought it some how froze to death. To my surprise it was alive but stayed limp when I picked her up. I put her under a heat lamp for a bit till she got up in her own, this happened 2 days in a row. My poor 8 year cried cause she thinks it's dying. However today I woke up and found the hen sitting next to a shell less egg. She was up walking around like normal. Is there something wrong with her or not. She is ruffly 8mnths old maybe a little more. She has been laying eggs daily for the last 3 to 4 months.

Okay so for the last 2 days one of my hens was in the list state of almost looking like it's dead. It's winter here and cold, so I thought it some how froze to death. To my surprise it was alive but stayed limp when I picked her up. I put her under a heat lamp for a bit till she got up in her own, this happened 2 days in a row. My poor 8 year cried cause she thinks it's dying. However today I woke up and found the hen sitting next to a shell less egg. She was up walking around like normal. Is there something wrong with her or not. She is ruffly 8mnths old maybe a little more. She has been laying eggs daily for the last 3 to 4 months.
Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry you are having trouble.

What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice for your girls?

From your description it sounds like she may have been having a hard time expelling the soft shelled egg. This can make them very ill and if the egg doesn't come out they can die. Sometimes people call this being "egg bound".

Provide her with her normal feed, offer oyster free choice and plenty of fresh water. It won't hurt to offer some poultry vitamins in her water (all the girls can have some) every few days or so. Limit treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily intake depending on the protein content of your normal feed.

Here's some info on egg binding and egg quality issues:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom