HELP

Ellie's Herd

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2018
It is 10:05 p.m and I was in my bedroom whenever I heard my chickens peeping from outside. I was concerned because they never do this, so I turned the back light on and looked out the window. I saw nothing out there, but they still kept peeping loudly from what I could hear. I have the kitchen light on in hopes that whatever it is will get scared and run away. To be honest, I'm scared. I love my chick with all of my heart and don't want them to be killed. Is there anything else I can do?

It is 10:05 p.m and I was in my bedroom whenever I heard my chickens peeping from outside. I was concerned because they never do this, so I turned the back light on and looked out the window. I saw nothing out there, but they still kept peeping loudly from what I could hear. I have the kitchen light on in hopes that whatever it is will get scared and run away. To be honest, I'm scared. I love my chick with all of my heart and don't want them to be killed. Is there anything else I can do?
Hi! Where are your chickens? Are they in a secure coop?

Hi! Where are your chickens? Are they in a secure coop?

Their coop is admittedly not all that secure. It has a room for them to sleep in and a small yard, both with chicken wire. I'm buying a new coop soon, but the current is not very secure. They are in my backyard which is in the woods of the Carolinas.

Go out there with a flashlight and have a look around. How old are they? Are they under a heat light? It won’t harm that you check in on them in case something is bothering them.

Alright. They are four weeks old and just out of the brooder.

Their coop is admittedly not all that secure. It has a room for them to sleep in and a small yard, both with chicken wire. I'm buying a new coop soon, but the current is not very secure. They are in my backyard which is in the woods of the Carolinas.
Then you may have reason to be concerned. There's a few things you can do. I'd check on them. I've put up step-in-posts with plastic bags that ruffle in the wind for the night. I've set stiff bags on step in posts so they look like people. But predators are very intelligent and they have nothing better to do than stalk and wait for your guard to be down.

The most important thing is to get the coop and run secure as soon as possible.

Something, I suspect the mink, shredded the walk-in-door on our shop where I have most of my roosters. I physically stayed up all night in the truck to make sure nothing came back. At the time there was nothing I could secure the door with. We secured it first thing the next day, and will be replacing the wooden doors with metal doors.

It could be that they're peeping because they aren't used to being in the coop. But if you're concerned, go out, look around and make noise to scare any potential predators away. If the coop isn't secure, do you have a garage or shed to keep them in until you get something better?

It could be that they're peeping because they aren't used to being in the coop. But if you're concerned, go out, look around and make noise to scare any potential predators away. If the coop isn't secure, do you have a garage or shed to keep them in until you get something better?

Yes but it smells like gasoline and is infested with wasps. The coop will be secure enough temporarily unless a predator can break through the chicken wire.

Yes but it smells like gasoline and is infested with wasps. The coop will be secure enough temporarily unless a predator can break through the chicken wire.
Most predators CAN break through chicken wire. Chicken wire is only for keeping chicken in, not predators out. You'll need hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom