help!!!

The main difference is the comb. Barred rocks have a single comb, Dominiques have a rose comb.
Dominiques are cuckoo, more blurry and undefined than barred. Barred has a more distinct and defined pattern.

Take a look at the comb. If it looks like the rose comb in this article it's a Dominique. If its a single comb, barred rock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-9-comb-types.63029/
AWESOME SAUCE!! feeding time ill take a look and see. personally im happy with either. they are very friendly whacky chickens. so either way, but I just like the knowledge of knowing

AWESOME SAUCE!! feeding time ill take a look and see. personally im happy with either. they are very friendly whacky chickens. so either way, but I just like the knowledge of knowing

I've had both breeds first a barred rock hen named big mama And a few of her sisters And a Dominique rooster named spanky. Big mama was gentle and friendly. She was second in command, right after her rhode island red sister, Red, who was the boss hen.

Spanky was one of my least favorite roos, he was rude and skittish. The one chick that he fathered was also pretty skittish, she brooded another cuckoo patterned rooster who was like his grandfather, rude and skitish. I'm not sure if this breed is just skitish or if it was just my experience.

well for lack of me being lazy I call them chicks, but yes I agree they handle it all. heck they love the rain with my ducks. its funny to see them literally doing a flapping wing dance. I die laughing.
My bad, I didn't intend to come off as lecturing on terminology... especially when mine is far from perfect. I intended to point out to someone else that when you said chicks you were talking about 6 month old chickens. You can definitely keep calling them chicks and I will understand what you mean. Others might not though and if that happens again I will word it better.

Dominiques have yellow beaks, yellow legs, a rose comb, and a cuckoo color pattern.
Barred Plymouth Rocks have yellow beaks, yellow legs, a single comb, and a barred pattern.
Cuckoo Marans have white legs, white beaks, a single comb, and a cuckoo pattern.
:goodpost: This is great information as to the differences between similar breeds.

I'd still love to see pictures when and if you're able to get any! :)

~Alex

It was raining so I apologize. They all look this way in color. I believe all had single comb. However one was being camera shy. Lol

Attachments

• KIMG0857.JPG
    KIMG0857.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom