Help!

Smcd18

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Brevard County, FL
I have no idea what’s happening with my buff Orpington. She’s my favorite so I’m sad.

Here’s what I do know...
1. I have two laying hens that typically lay an egg each everyday with each taking 1 day off a week.

2. Since Friday I am only getting 1 egg a day.

3. My buff Orpington sat in the nesting box from 5pm last night until 7 am this morning with no egg.

4. I found 2 squished shell less eggs Friday and Saturday.

5. My buff Orpington is no longer squatting when I hold my hand out over her.

6. I stuck my finger up her yonder regions this morning to check if she was egg bound but found no egg.

7. She eats layer crumble with calcium in it and free calcium on the side. Theyalso free range sun up to sun down.

8. She isn’t lethargic and is eating fine.

Just worried why she’s not laying... in new to the chicken world but she’s my favorite.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rundown of the history. We'd be happy to help. But, perhaps it would help us help you to reread your post and correct all the mistakes to make it more readable.
In your first sentence you said she was your favorite and in the last statement you said she wasn't.
7. I'm assuming you meant layer (not later) crumble but you mentioned 'with calcium in it'. Do you mean you added more calcium to the layer feed which is already at 4%?
8. she is eating fine or isn't eating fine?
IMHO, squatting isn't an indication of anything one way or the other.

Thanks for the rundown of the history. We'd be happy to help. But, perhaps it would help us help you to reread your post and correct all the mistakes to make it more readable.
In your first sentence you said she was your favorite and in the last statement you said she wasn't.
7. I'm assuming you meant layer (not later) crumble but you mentioned 'with calcium in it'. Do you mean you added more calcium to the layer feed which is already at 4%?
8. she is eating fine or isn't eating fine?
IMHO, squatting isn't an indication of anything one way or the other.
Wow really. I’m hear for help on my chickens and you’re going to criticize parts my phone autocorrected when you pointed out you knew what it was meant to say any way.

I thought this was a place to get help education and help not criticized on some grammar mistakes.

So you are lashing out rather than answering my questions in an attempt to understand what's going on? I can't help what your phone did to you. This is the place to get answers but from now on I won't offer advice if I can't understand the OP.

So you are lashing out rather than answering my questions in an attempt to understand what's going on?
Yes I am lashing out. That was rude. Yes I feed her layer feed with oyster shell on the side she can get as she pleases if she pleases. She is eating fine. You knew what I meant you just chose to point out my mistakes rather then just ask the questions. Or offer advice. I gave as much information to get help.

I truly didn't know what you meant because I've seen many people add extra calcium to their layer feed (mixing it with the feed) if they have shell issues, a practice which can make shell quality worse.
That’s why I asked you to clarify. When much of a post is disjointed, whether cell phone generated or not, one can't make responsible recommendations if the information is unclear. You knew what you meant in all your points but I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
I have no idea what’s happening with my buff Orpington. She’s my favorite so I’m sad.

Here’s what I do know...
1. I have two laying hens that typically lay an egg each everyday with each taking 1 day off a week.

2. Since Friday I am only getting 1 egg a day.

3. My buff Orpington sat in the nesting box from 5pm last night until 7 am this morning with no egg.

4. I found 2 squished shell less eggs Friday and Saturday.

5. My buff Orpington is no longer squatting when I hold my hand out over her.

6. I stuck my finger up her yonder regions this morning to check if she was egg bound but found no egg.

7. She eats layer crumble with calcium in it and free calcium on the side. Theyalso free range sun up to sun down.

8. She isn’t lethargic and is eating fine.

Just worried why she’s not laying... in new to the chicken world but she’s my favorite.
Hello.
I have a girl that will lay soft shell eggs when she gets stressed even though she has plenty of calcium available to her.
I would start by giving her a 20 minute soak in a warm epsom salt bath to help relax her muscles. Passing a soft shelled or shell-less egg is difficult because there is nothing to bear against.
I would offer her 1/2 of a crushed human calcium with vitamin D supplement in a little bit of yogurt or other treat she likes. Give this to her for once daily for one week. The extra calcium not only helps with shell formation but also muscle contractions.
How is her crop? Empty in the morning, full in the evening?
How old is she?

I think there was a misunderstanding; also if @Smcd18 is not too calm I'm sure they're just worried about her hen. I don't mean to intrude- I just don't want anything to get out of hand. Sorry!
Do you think she might be going broody? If so you could try leaving a few eggs in there and see if she sits on them to know for sure. Is she keeping her feathers poofed up for a bit?

Hello.
I have a girl that will lay soft shell eggs when she gets stressed even though she has plenty of calcium available to her.
I would start by giving her a 20 minute soak in a warm epsom salt bath to help relax her muscles. Passing a soft shelled or shell-less egg is difficult because there is nothing to bear against.
I would offer her 1/2 of a crushed human calcium with vitamin D supplement in a little bit of yogurt or other treat she likes. Give this to her for once daily for one week. The extra calcium not only helps with shell formation but also muscle contractions.
How is her crop? Empty in the morning, full in the evening?
How old is she?
What do you mean by crop? I gave her cracked corn today which is her favorite and she got really excited. She will be a year at the end of November.

I think there was a misunderstanding; also if @Smcd18 is not too calm I'm sure they're just worried about her hen. I don't mean to intrude- I just don't want anything to get out of hand. Sorry!
Do you think she might be going broody? If so you could try leaving a few eggs in there and see if she sits on them to know for sure. Is she keeping her feathers poofed up for a bit?
I haven’t really noticed her being fluffed up whether she’s in the box or out.

Back
Top Bottom