help?!?!?!

how could we get predators to not dig in then? (without putting more wood on the inside)

The best way to stop predators from digging under is sinking wire or building a thick concrete apron around the coop and run. I chose to do the concrete apron because the wire will eventually rust out. I also placed wildlife netting on the outside of the run fencing and cage wire on the coup. It stops snakes and rodents. On 2 occasions a snake got caught in the netting and was easily killed.

@Duck mommy 2019 by the way, you don't have to bury the 1/2 inch hardware cloth apron. Just lay it flat on the ground OUTSIDE the run for the entire run and coop perimeter. It can come in as much as 4 foot wide rolls that can be up to 100 feet long. Connect it to the bottom of the run and coop by bending it lengthwise, like a long "L" all around, let the bottom of the L lay on the ground at least 2 feet wide, the top of the L you connect up along the run fencing and coop walls. If you want you can throw some dirt over it. Grass will grow up through it hiding it from view whether you throw dirt or not.

No. They bring in diseases and they eat the chickens food so you're paying for more feed than your chickens use.

Dogs are great protectors only if they are properly trained from the time they are pups. If that is something you want there are lots of threads here about types of dogs suited for such work and how to raise and train them. That will only work if you have time to train a puppy properly and consistently. If you don't have time to take care of your chickens I don't think a dog is a viable option for you.

EDIT: Sorry I keep saying chickens. I know you have ducks. I'm just used to talking chicken.
that’s why we can’t get another dog right now, and our other is older and probably wouldn’t be the best for training. once we have more time we will definitely consider a new puppy!

@Duck mommy 2019 by the way, you don't have to bury the 1/2 inch hardware cloth apron. Just lay it flat on the ground OUTSIDE the run for the entire run and coop perimeter. It can come in as much as 4 foot wide rolls that can be up to 100 feet long. Connect it to the bottom of the run and coop by bending it lengthwise, like a long "L" all around, let the bottom of the L lay on the ground at least 2 feet wide, the top of the L you connect up along the run fencing and coop walls. If you want you can throw some dirt over it. Grass will grow up through it hiding it from view whether you throw dirt or not.

this coop is only for winter then is getting taken down (they have a giant pond home for summer)

Back
Top Bottom