HELP?!!

dana_o

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
I just got some new baby chickens.(a mixture of different breeds) And I've raised before, of course and am sure of what I'm doing. But something is off. One by one they get to where they can't walk or stand and just lay and sleep. Their water is fresh and they have food but won't eat it. They have a heat lamp which is an appropriate distance away. I've adjusted it so they have a cool side, and they have cedar chips for bedding. Two of the six have already died.. I'm thinking it could be a bacterial thing from being picked up by people in the store but I have no idea. I've never had this problem, ether. What should I do? Please help.

I don't have a lot of experience, take this with a grain of salt.
But something is off. One by one they get to where they can't walk or stand and just lay and sleep
This sounds like a vitamin deficiency. Possibly thiamine (was the mother treated for coccidia?). A drop of vitamin supplement to the beak every few hours until you see results. Take care that chicks swallow it, not breathe it.
they have cedar chips for bedding
The wonderful scent of cedar that deters moths is also mildly toxic to small animals. If you have an alternative, I'd use it. Sand, paper towels...

Last edited:
I just got some new baby chickens.(a mixture of different breeds) And I've raised before, of course and am sure of what I'm doing. But something is off. One by one they get to where they can't walk or stand and just lay and sleep. Their water is fresh and they have food but won't eat it. They have a heat lamp which is an appropriate distance away. I've adjusted it so they have a cool side, and they have cedar chips for bedding. Two of the six have already died.. I'm thinking it could be a bacterial thing from being picked up by people in the store but I have no idea. I've never had this problem, ether. What should I do? Please help.
Cedar chips are actually very toxic to chicks. Get it out ASAP. Either use pine shavings, hemp bedding or just use disposable puppy pads.
Get them lots of fresh air in the meantime, clean the brooder, feeder and waterer and fill with fresh.
Put two waterers out, one with plain water and one with electrolytes in it.
Make a mash out of their chick starter and put about 3-4 drops per chick of Poultry Nutri-drench or Rooster Booster in the mash to help them recover.
Additionally, make sure that your heat lamp is not one that is intended for reptiles but for birds.
Good luck.

Cedar chips are actually very toxic to chicks. Get it out ASAP. Either use pine shavings, hemp bedding or just use disposable puppy pads.
Get them lots of fresh air in the meantime, clean the brooder, feeder and waterer and fill with fresh.
Put two waterers out, one with plain water and one with electrolytes in it.
Make a mash out of their chick starter and put about 3-4 drops per chick of Poultry Nutri-drench or Rooster Booster in the mash to help them recover.
Additionally, make sure that your heat lamp is not one that is intended for reptiles but for birds.
Good luck.

:goodpost:

I second what DobieLover is suggesting. Get rid of the cedar ASAP. I hope your chicks recover quickly.

Sorry for your loss. I was just reading about cedar shavings yesterday, as I had always heard they were toxic. But there are no studies published about this, and apparently, this may be overstated or a myth.For new babies in a brooder, I would not use cedar, but switch to pine shavings. Here are a couple of articles about cedar:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/7-coop-bedding-materials-and-how-to-choose-the-right-one-3/
https://www.moonlightmileherbs.com/redcedar.html
You may be dealing with shipping stress, since chicks who have been shipped in the mail to homes or feed stores may be dehydrated, suffered from the cold, or have pasty butt. Deaths can occur up to 10 days afterward. I would suggest treating each chick with Poultry NutriDrench, making sure they are eating and drinking well, and watch for pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom