HELP

2pekin

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Help!!
I have too Pekin ducklings, about 2.5-3 weeks old. About two days ago they started to spit up/thrown up what seems to be mucus or water. They do it usually after or while they eat/drink and every once and a while they will do it as I pick them up. I currently feed them three times a day and have water available...is this “normal” or do I need to get help

Hi, Welcome to BYC!

I think I have a pretty good idea what's happening here, you are limiting feed, so when they do eat, I bet they gorge all the food down real fast, correct? After they eat, you pick them up and unintentionally apply pressure to their crop area which then causes the food to come back up their throat.

To stop this, just let them be able to eat 24/7, or take it away at night, and when they do eat, be gentle with them and try not to apply too much pressure right after eating.

I notice you have Pekins which are very prone to becoming niacin deficient, I'd suggest taking a look at the link in my signature so you can watch out for what a deficiency in niacin may look like, and how to be prepared.

Hi, Welcome to BYC!

I think I have a pretty good idea what's happening here, you are limiting feed, so when they do eat, I bet they gorge all the food down real fast, correct? After they eat, you pick them up and unintentionally apply pressure to their crop area which then causes the food to come back up their throat.

To stop this, just let them be able to eat 24/7, or take it away at night, and when they do eat, be gentle with them and try not to apply too much pressure right after eating.

I notice you have Pekins which are very prone to becoming niacin deficient, I'd suggest taking a look at the link in my signature so you can watch out for what a deficiency in niacin may look like, and how to be prepared.
They seem to spit up water even when I’m not touching them, and it’s only water, no feed seems to come back up...they’ll drink some water they spit it right back up...I’ll give them more access to food during the day though, because your right, they do gorge themselves when it’s feeding time.

They seem to spit up water even when I’m not touching them, and it’s only water, no feed seems to come back up...they’ll drink some water they spit it right back up...I’ll give them more access to food during the day though, because your right, they do gorge themselves when it’s feeding time.

Well, Pekins are such hogs they are probably eating too fast any way, and the water is going to be the first thing to come up. Just try letting them have access to feed 24/7 and see if it stops. Keep us updated.

Will do! Thank you for the help:) it’s my first time raising ducks so I’ll take all the help I can get!!

Duck are doing much better!! No more throwing up water:) one is 3 weeks old and the other is 2.5 and they are starting to get feathers, they still live inside in their brooder no longer with a heat lamp...they are getting to be a decent size, should I start thinking about moving them outside now?

About mid 70’s during the day and mid to low 50’s at night...next week looks like the nighttime low is going to be closer to high 40’s.

Back
Top Bottom