Help?!

BeezerC

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Ok I have this little beauty. First thought it was a roo. Then posted pics in another place and the as told pullet. Today was told again that it’s a roo. 7 weeks old. Roo was a RIR, hen was Barred Rock which someone told me today means its a sex link and that if it was solid black it would be a pullet and because of its barred colouring its a roo? Is this correct?

Attachments

• AC847488-48CA-45E2-9FD2-032F7EA5B8E0.jpeg
    AC847488-48CA-45E2-9FD2-032F7EA5B8E0.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 47
Why do people keep telling me he’s a she then? They say he’s the same colour as a pullet and he also has the black wash down his legs.

With Barred Rocks, the males and females look a bit different from each other--the pullets are darker colored and the males are lighter. So they are autosexing: a pure breed of chicken that can be sexed by color/pattern from a very young age.

When you cross a Barred Rock hen with a rooster to get sexlinks, like you did, the sons (cockerels) have the darker color that is normally found in Barred Rock pullets. So some people get confused.

It's the result of the barring gene, on the sex chromosomes.
--A Barred Rock male has two copies of the gene, thus more white bars, thus lighter color.
--A Barred Rock female, and also her son the sexlink cockerel, has one copy of the gene, thus less white bars/more black, thus darker color.
--A Black Sexlink female has no copies of the barring gene, thus no white bars, thus solid not-barred (i.e. black.)

(Compared to mammals, chickens have backwards sex chromosomes: male has ZZ, female has ZW. All the interesting genes are on the Z chromosome. A male passes it to his sons and his daughters. A female passes Z to her sons, W to her daughters.)

Ok I have this little beauty. First thought it was a roo. Then posted pics in another place and the as told pullet. Today was told again that it’s a roo. 7 weeks old. Roo was a RIR, hen was Barred Rock which someone told me today means its a sex link and that if it was solid black it would be a pullet and because of its barred colouring its a roo? Is this correct?
Oh, very much a boy. Yes, sexlinked. If the mom was barred, there is absolutely ZERO doubt.

I’ve never heard the term splash for a colour before. 🤷🏻‍♀️I am new to chicks. I’ve only ever had ISA laying hens before this.

You know the saying about learning to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool? I think you're doing that with chicken breeds, colors, and genetics. Don't drown :)

Back
Top Bottom