Help?!

I don't know what kind of chicks you have, except that the eggs they hatched from shows what color eggs their mothers lay ;)

Whether the mothers passed on the genes for that egg color, or what genes the fathers gave them, I have no idea.

The chicks do not look to me like purebreds of any kind on the list you posted.

For genders, I think it will be much more clear when they get a bit older, but obviously some of us have been guessing already :)

They weren’t supposed to be crossed. Each breed of chicken they have is in their own run/coop. I witnessed that myself. So idk what the deal is. I know between the 2 batches of chicks I have I ended up with way too many cockerels. 6/10 for my 7 week olds and by the looks of these at least 4-5 maybe even 6/11.

They weren’t supposed to be crossed. Each breed of chicken they have is in their own run/coop. I witnessed that myself. So idk what the deal is.

I don't know either, considering you posted a picture of the ad that said,
"From large breed mixed stock. Might include Araucana, Marans, Langshan, Australorp, Faverolles, Orpington and Legbar crosses. Hens are free range and so are the roosters."

I would have expected multiple breeds all running around together, and I would expect most chicks to be mixed breeds.

It sounds like what you saw did not match the ad, and your chicks may or may not match either the ad or what you saw and were told.

I’ve never heard the term splash for a colour before. 🤷🏻‍♀️I am new to chicks. I’ve only ever had ISA laying hens before this.

You know the saying about learning to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool? I think you're doing that with chicken breeds, colors, and genetics. Don't drown :)

I’ve never heard the term splash for a colour before. 🤷🏻‍♀️I am new to chicks. I’ve only ever had ISA laying hens before this.
Splash is white with black or blue feathers mixed in.
If you breed Blue x Blue you get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash.
69049FFC-1F8C-42D6-8AD1-3BD8A6350EC5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom