help!

You can find local rabies clinics vaccinations. This is the cheapest way forward.

In our area they would purposely make them the cheapest way possible to get a vaccination.

Now you shouldn't get ripped off on this. And don't go in there freaking out talking to a vet about these. (That's how you get ripped off when they smell fear.)

A rabies vaccination should cost under 50 bucks. But I've been seeing on Google, people trying to hijack prices.

Another reason they are low cost is that local vets would go around to towns near their practice to do them as a service to build up a customer list, and get their names out.

okay so one of my dogs escaped (who is a cattle dog) the fence and came back with a roadkill squirrel... im worried that he could get sick as well as other people... i read on the cdc that squirrels and other rodents rarely ever carry rabies but still.. the day after that one of the 3 dogs licked (it wasn't the cattle dog but the other 2 have been in contact with him) me on the mouth while i was sleeping, they have been vaccinated last year but haven't gotten a second one this year yet, could i have rabies now? Im so scared i think im developing symptoms, or could it all just be in my head? I asked my dad to take me to the hospital but all he says is "stop worrying about it, squirrels can't get rabies remember? now stop whining about it"
here is a screenshot of the article. I looked up recent rabies outbreaks in my area and the only one i could find was from 6 or 7 years ago, the most recent one being 4 years ago. i didnt see any of them that have to do with squirrels though.
Squirrels are not considered high-risk, so your pup should be okay. If you're still concerned, call your vet and see if you need to get the Happy Hunter a booster. Either way, if he's not showing any symptoms, you won't either. Breathe, Girl ... you'll be just fine!

You are not going to get rabies unless your dog has rabies. In that case the dog would be showing signs before you would and then you would have time to get the vaccine. Just curious. Of all the things there are to worry about, why pick rabies? I really am curious.

That said, you would have reason to be concerned if you had close contact with or were bitten by a bat. I followed two cases of people who contracted rabies and were treated for it after symptoms appeared. One was a girl who was bitten by a bat and unfortunately neither she nor her mother thought anything about it. This girl was treated shortly after she developed symptoms. It was a very long recovery but she did survive. The other case was a little boy who had been playing with a bat. The parents didn't take him to the doctor because he hated shots. He was treated but he died. Essentially rabies has a 100% mortality rate once symptoms appear.
I remember seeing a case of rabies where this young boy in India was bitten by a squirrel and got rabies and died two months later, thats the only case i could find, they didn't think much of it because it was a squirrel-

my dog ate the squirrels head and came into contact with the brain tissue but hasn't developed symptoms yet so.. idk
im not sure if it had rabies and i dont think the virus can be transmitted this way since the stomach is super acidic. its mostly transmitted through bites and the brain was probably already decomposing.
there has only been one confimed case of rabies in my state this year.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a case of rabies where this young boy in India was bitten by a squirrel and got rabies and died two months later, thats the only case i could find, they didn't think much of it because it was a squirrel-

my dog ate the squirrels head and came into contact with the brain tissue but hasn't developed symptoms yet so.. idk
im not sure if it had rabies and i dont think the virus can be transmitted this way since the stomach is super acidic. its mostly transmitted through bites and the brain was probably already decomposing.
there has only been one confimed case of rabies in my state this year.
Dude. That was INDIA. You're in the states. You're either trolling or you're legitimately concerned because this is your second rabies thread. If you're worried take your dog to the vet or go to the doctor. Obviously your mom is not worried from your previous post. We are not vets and this is not webmd. We cant advise you other than that. Keep calm, chickens are on.

Dog's need PARVO vaccine WAY more than rabies if that helps. It used to be there would be waves of parvo going through this area every year a few years ago. (I haven't followed it recently.) And you shouldn't get ripped off by any of these vaccine prices. The vets get them cheap.)

also i was playing with her on the day it happened and her teeth scraped my skin a little, a tiny scratch... there was no blood or anything she just scratched the surface but i still saw it scabbing over. could i get rabies this way? she has been vaccinated but is overdue on a booster. im not sure how long her vaccine lasts..
The rabies vaccine for dogs lasts 3 years, and vets recommend getting a booster every 2 years. If your dog is up to date or even a little late, it would be fine even if it was a live squirrel (which it wasn't) that was infected (which is very unlikely.)

Update: the dogs are totally fine. I was just overreacting like I always do. The cow dog sadly passed away from cancer a few months ago which was unrelated to rabies. None of my dogs have rabies. I probably just needed to take my medicine when I wrote this post.

Back
Top Bottom