Help!

Hannah18

Hatching
Mar 7, 2020
So, I've recently noticed that my 4 month old silkie has been a bit wheezy lately. She eats and drinks fine, but when I hold her she wheezes quite heavily and has started to sneeze. Her eyes also dont seem to have a discharge. I'm assuming she has a respiratory infection. What do you guys think it is and what should I treat her with? This is all very new to me and I'm not sure what I should do. There are no vets that see chickens in my area, so if you guys have some advice it would be greatly appreciated

Respiratory diseases usually show other symptoms and would be seen. It could be something in the environment causing the wheezing and sneezing, for example; mold or fungus inside the coop, pollen, inhaling feed dust or dust from dust bathing, pesticide use, excessive dander etc...
All of the above issues can be prevented or eliminated.

Respiratory diseases usually show other symptoms and would be seen. It could be something in the environment causing the wheezing and sneezing, for example; mold or fungus inside the coop, pollen, inhaling feed dust or dust from dust bathing, pesticide use, excessive dander etc...
All of the above issues can be prevented or eliminated.
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, you've been the only one to do so. I went out earlier today and cleaned the coops, my chickens are free range and spend most the time outside. She seems to be the only one that has this issue. Her voice is now starting to go, I'm not sure what to do

Look inside her mouth for any sign of lesions or anything else out of the ordinary. Check her nostrils to ensure there arnt any blockages such as dirt or debris.
If it were a respiratory disease, your other chickens would be showing symptoms as well. Fortunately it's not happening in this instance.

Look inside her mouth for any sign of lesions or anything else out of the ordinary. Check her nostrils to ensure there arnt any blockages such as dirt or debris.
If it were a respiratory disease, your other chickens would be showing symptoms as well. Fortunately it's not happening in this instance.
So, I tried to check her mouth and nose. I couldn't get a good look and don't see any noticeable discharge. This has been going on for about maybe a week, but hasn't been bad until today. The only other thing I've done different is put "Diatomaceous Earth" in the coop for one of our birds who caught lice. But there are 4 other birds in the same coop who are fine. I did dust her with the diatomaceous and it stuck to her silkie feathers more. Do you think that could be a factor? Sorry if I'm bothering you

Absolutely. DE can adversely effect lungs and air sacs and is most likely the cause of the symptoms you're observing.
You'd be better off using Permethrin dust treating lice and mites, coop and nest boxes included.

Absolutely. DE can adversely effect lungs and air sacs and is most likely the cause of the symptoms you're observing.
You'd be better off using Permethrin dust treating lice and mites, coop and nest boxes included.
Thank you so much!! I've learned more from you today then 3 days worth of internet searches. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer my questions. It helps a lot. I definitely wont be putting DE in the coops now that I know

You stated that the DE stuck to your silkies feathers more. I've never owned silkies, only standard breeds. All birds preen themselves, this is most likely how your silkie inhaled the DE. There's not much you can do for her. Providing comfort care is best as well as a proper diet of feed and fresh clean water. Perhaps in time it "might" work its way out her system. Good luck and have patience with her. :)

Back
Top Bottom