Help

Ruby202020

Hatching
Oct 19, 2020
Iv got a silkie she had 11 eggs but 2 died leaving 9 4 hatched but this morning 1 more hatched but one was dead in the nest looked like it had been squashed there are still 3 to hatch one has pipped but the other 2 have got about 3 days left I'm worried that the mom cannot cope with the chicks and the eggs if made the nest box bigger but found she had got off the nest and left the eggs and was on the floor with the 4 chicks under her but iv put her back on what should I do .

I let nature run its course with hatchings. I let the momma chicken decide when enough is enough. Some people take the eggs and put them in an incubator but mom may not except them back, so you may have to keep them in the house.

No I dont want to intervene I'm just worried she will squashe them again because of the ones that have got 3 days left and it's a shame as she is white and the dad is black and they are all like a smokey colour but the one that was squashed was gray.

If she won't go back on the eggs, I just toss them. Tough, but I use broodies for eggs when it's not the right time for brooder and incubators. She may not believe the others are alive anymore
They are talking to her as I can hear them when i checked them before.

Is she huddled on her babies somewhere else or is she actively walking around with her babies?
Shes not actively walking around but I put her back on the rest of the eggs a few hours ago and shes still there shes not been outside with them yet I was thinking this is because the other eggs have not hatched yet.

Back
Top Bottom