help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duckman11032

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
hey guys I just bought a pair of mallards, they are younger only a few months old, and I put them outside this morning with my rouen ducks, and they chase the little guys around, I know this is a dominance thing and pecking order how long does it take for them to figure it out and quit hurting my little mallards???

help please

mike:cool:

Is it just the male rouens that are chasing the mallards around? If it is then it's never going to stop, the rouen drakes are trying to mate with the mallards. I would advise to seperate them if you can.

Can you make an enclosure with in the main enclosure? Its good to introduce the youngsters to the main flock before you actually put them together. I raise about a hundred ducks a year and when they graduate from brooder to outside they are in an adjacent enclosure with a calf hutch for shelter (heat lamp in hutch). That way everyone has seen and fence fought and gotten over most annoyances before I introduce the newbies to the main yard. Something like that might take it down a notch for you. Good luck.
big_smile.png

I also temporarily add an extra couple of feeders when I bring a new group into the main pen (after a week or so you shouldn't need it any more) but it keeps them from guarding the food from the newbies. And I always add my newbies at feeding time because most of my ducks at least would rather eat than fight.

Back
Top Bottom