HELP!!!

gabarrelracer09

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
im planning on getting a couple lil chicks here soon:D and need to build a coop before they get here!! (we cant have lil chicks running around now can we?!
roll.png
) sooo i would love to hear sugestions from anyone with great ideas!! i am most likely going to turn a shed/overhang that comes off of our barn into one, but im not sure how big and what is unessessary.
hmm.png
...i will only have 5 at the most.
thanks!!

it will start with 5, then 5 more, then 5 more, next thing you know you will have to biuld 2nd coop. good luck on keeping it to 5
lau.gif
lau.gif
we have too help the chickens take over the world!!!!! build big william

Last edited:
Well at first you will just need a box and heat lamp til they feather out. The coop will then be needed when they are bigger, about 5-6 weeks if its warm enough is when I put mine outside. You could turn the over hang into a coop and with 5 chickens it would have to be about 20 square foot or 4X5. The best guide is 4 ft per bird. I would go bigger you can never stop at 5 believe me. Are they going to have a run or free range? Alot to think about but don't get discouraged. Good luck, I love my chickens!

well hopefully i can just do 5. but thats what im wondering how do i do the whole free range thing. i dont want them to get eating

That is the hard part about free range, and it really depends on where you live and how close your neigbors are. I have lost 3 chickens while free ranging. I have a run on my coop, but free range during the warm months during the day. My chickens were all over 4=3 months old before I let the free range, I would try searching the topic and researching to figure out what would work best for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198

This will answer alot of your questions.
smile.png

You need to do some homework before you get your babies. I'm getting 5 next week and I have my brooder almost ready. And for the safety of your chickens please make sure they are in a well built coop and run. There is a lot of info, have fun looking around.

Oh and Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom