Help

Hipchicker

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2019
My older chickens pecked my younger chicken on the head until it was bleeding and the skin pulled away from the head I put peroxide on it and antibiotic cream. Is there any advice you can give me?

Put the one that pecked her there, if you possibly can. Separating the victim often makes this worse.

Add some blue-kote so the others can't see the red. Add some hideouts and roosts it the run...a lot of clutter helps - and some escapes where a little can get away from a big.

Mrs K

My older chickens pecked my younger chicken on the head until it was bleeding and the skin pulled away from the head I put peroxide on it and antibiotic cream. Is there any advice you can give me?
Im sorry to read about this. Can you answer a few questions.
1. How old is it?
2. Please post pictures for further treatment.

Put the one that pecked her there, if you possibly can. Separating the victim often makes this worse.

Add some blue-kote so the others can't see the red. Add some hideouts and roosts it the run...a lot of clutter helps - and some escapes where a little can get away from a big.

Mrs K

Mrs K
I wasn’t out there when it happened, as it was starting to get dark I went to make sure the new girls were inside the henhouse when I saw her head. I’ve introduced new hens, before and they never acted that badly, but I have an idea which one it might be, because I saw her kind of acting aggressive earlier, but then things kind of settled down. I will check the other young ones, in the morning when I let them out into the pen.

Im sorry to read about this. Can you answer a few questions.
1. How old is it?
2. Please post pictures for further treatment.
They are about three months old, I hatched them myself, plus the one that got hurt the worst is half the size of her siblings. I will take a pic in the morning

Ok, if its smaller, pull her inside. Often the attack causes shock.
You do not want flys to land on the wound.
Do not us Peroxide.
Cut all the feathers away so you can actually view all the damage. Then clean with an antiseptic, Chlorihexdine or poultry vet.
Then Liberally coat the wound with a basic Triple antibiotic oint. DO NOT USE LIDOCAINE ( Pain Relief). As it is not harmful to humans but is Toxic to our chickens. Provide food and an electrolyte drink in addition make available regular fresh water. You could feed her a scrambled egg for the extra protein.
Then evaluate her in the morning. Keep the wound Slathered with Triple Antibiotic Oint. No Blue kot to obvious open wounds. Its good for abrasions but not for Open wounds as you need to visualize the wound daily. Make sure her crop is full at night and soft in the morning. Since she's smaller than the others, she may not be getting adequate nutrition because she's low on the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom