1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pottersway, Mar 29, 2009.

1. pottersway

pottersway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Seagrove, NC
    Our house sitter collected silkie eggs this morning, put them in the fridge. The eggs were there for about 4 hours. I removed them, let them get to room temp, and put them back in the nest boxes.
    Have I lost these eggs for hatching out?? My hens are just about to go broody.
    Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Silkie Mom

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    They will probly be ok.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I've heard of people successfully hatching eggs that had been refrigerated. I hope you'll be among them! [​IMG]

ETA: BTW, how do you know they're about to go broody? Mine didn't really give any signs; they just decided to sit and not get up. Do they give telltale clues???

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

MAYBE, MAYBE NOT!!!!!!!

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They will be okay!!! [​IMG]

P.s there will be more eggs in the future to, don't forget!!! [​IMG]

6. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Quote:I am wondering also how you know they will go broody. I would love to know if there is something I need to watch for.

7. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Yes I am also wondering how do we know when a hen goes broody?? because I would like the eggs to be hatched out in the coop with a hen because then they do most of the work and we just keep an eye on them. I dont mind incubating them but i would I like to try it out with a hen [​IMG]

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I put about 6 fake eggs in a nest. If a hen sits on it consistently for a few days, she is broody. You can put fertile eggs under her or you can put day old chicks under her in about 10-14 days. I introduce the chicks in the evening, when I go that route.

9. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Quote:Yes, but can you tell any will go broody before they start to sit consistently?

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    There is really no signs till they decide to go. Although I noticed somthing different about 1 of my hens before she decided to go broody. Everytime she laid an egg she would sit on it for over 4 hours but always came off the nest and never went back. After I noticed her doing this she went broody 3 days later she laid an egg early that morning and by that evening she never came off the nest and has been sitting for 5 days now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by