Help!!

yoolie

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
I would like to ask for some help, because I have 5 chickens and 6 quails (in a run, separated from chickens) and they're like family members, I really want to help them, but I don't know how :( Few weeks ago chickens started to sneeze a lot and had diarrhea as well, but not everyday, sometimes their stool was normal, sometimes lots of mucus were in it. Than a week later my quail started to sneeze a lot, their feather became ruffled and they became more aggressive with each other but still active. Meanwhile my chickens were still sneezing a lot and less active than usual. All of them are molting, both chicken and the quail flock. Now two of my chickens are in a really bad shape, their breathing is loud, still sneezing and much less active, they just stand most of the day in their coop. I took one of each flock to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics but it didn't help at all. I give them garlic, apple cider vinegar and vitamins but it doesn't help either. What can I do and what kind of respiratory disease spread from chickens to quails? And I don't understand why 2 of my chickens are in a really bad shape and the rest of them still active and it looks like, quails handle it better as well, whatever sickness it is....Sneezing is the number one symptom (and some are breathing loud) but they don't have a runny nose.

It seems like it could be a respiratory illness of some kind based on your description of the symptoms. It may be that the antibiotics are the wrong kind, or it may be something that antibiotics won't work on. Did the vet offer any ideas about what it could be?

It seems like it could be a respiratory illness of some kind based on your description of the symptoms. It may be that the antibiotics are the wrong kind, or it may be something that antibiotics won't work on. Did the vet offer any ideas about what it could be?
He said, it's probably respiratory problem because their throat is red and inflamed. The biggest problem now the time, that the vet is so busy, it's impossible to set a new appointment this week and he is the only one in our area, who accept birds. But we don't have time, two of them are in bad shape and today one of them had loud crackling sound when she breaths. I have oxytetracycline hydrochloride at home, got it from a neighbour but afraid to use it, until we don't know what kind of disease it is...

He said, it's probably respiratory problem because their throat is red and inflamed. The biggest problem now the time, that the vet is so busy, it's impossible to set a new appointment this week and he is the only one in our area, who accept birds. But we don't have time, two of them are in bad shape and today one of them had loud crackling sound when she breaths. I have oxytetracycline hydrochloride at home, got it from a neighbour but afraid to use it, until we don't know what kind of disease it is...

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm honestly unsure about the oxytetracycline hydrochloride, or about how else to proceed in this situation, as I've never really dealt with something like this before. I'm going to have to let someone with more experience add on here, since I don't want to give potentially wrong information.

I hope you can get some answers and I wish you the best of luck with your birds.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm honestly unsure about the oxytetracycline hydrochloride, or about how else to proceed in this situation, as I've never really dealt with something like this before. I'm going to have to let someone with more experience add on here, since I don't want to give potentially wrong information.

I hope you can get some answers and I wish you the best of luck with your birds.
Thank you so much, I feel so helpless with this, they never had any sickness, don't even know, where they got this from, possibly from wild birds, we have a few of them in our garden, they come to eat seeds, when the weather is cold.

hi yoolie!
sorry to hear about EVERYTHING.
As an experience duck mummy I know only two things:
1) I hate geese!
2) Trust your mama instincts and you'll be okay. As far as the babies go we can only pray and rub their little webbed feet long and hard.

Best wishes
PS I am also in love with my vet but my ducks don't like sharing me ;) let's keep this our cheeky little secret ;))((;

Back
Top Bottom