Help!

They should not be outside at their age, they're only like 2 weeks old. The one died because it was too cold. The temperature needs to be 85 degrees at their age, decrease that by 5 degrees once a week.
They can go outside once they're fully feathered.
Yep, I agree.

Yes I just took it.
They were
They should not be outside at their age, they're only like 2 weeks old. The one died because it was too cold. The temperature needs to be 85 degrees at their age, decrease that by 5 degrees once a week.
They can go outside once they're fully feathered.
okay thank you. So even if they had 2 heating lamps on them in my garage they still would of been to cold?

If you had two lamps on them in a small container bin, it is quite possible they did get too warm even though the temps are low. And like the others are saying now, if they are panting and laying around, they are still too warm. Make sure the lamp is raised enough off them so it is not scorching them, and also make sure they are able to get out of the heat if they get too warm. Temp should be about 85 under the lamp, but again, they should be able to move freely should they get warm. Remember, happy chicks are ones that are up and around, eating, drinking and talking lightly. If they are chirping loud and huddling - too cold. If they are panting and laying around with wings spread out - too hot.
Each week, raise the lamp slightly higher, this is how you keep them warm, but not too much so. Good luck and hopefully everything goes more smoothly now.

You're overheating them. They shouldn't be panting. Two heat lamps is excessive unless the chicks have free access to a space that's huge, but they're restricted to a plastic bin from the looks of it.

I brood my chicks outside with lows in mid 40s with a heating pad and they choose to spend plenty of time away from the heat even when only a few days old. By two weeks old they only go under heat to nap during the day, and to sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom