HELP!

Jun 6, 2023
My 6 week old rooster just got into a bad fight with one (or multiple) of his siblings and now he’s in bad condition. His head is bald now and covered with dry blood and I think theres blood coming out of his ears. I gave him some aspirin and kitchen scraps and he ate but he looks uncomfortable. Im going to be keeping him with one other chicken, a nice chick he gets along with, until he gets better. The blue in the first pic is from the ointment.
IMG_1676.jpeg
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg

Can you offer him some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) or electrolytes, Gatorade? Has he been eating or drinking? He looks alert. I would stop the aspirin, since it may cause more bleeding. Keep his wounds cleaned and covered with hen healer or triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. I would not put anyone with him now with all of the wounds and red skin, but can you separate him in a dog crate or behind fencing?

Are his flock mates the same age? How much room do they have? Are they under a bright light or heat?

Can you offer him some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) or electrolytes, Gatorade? Has he been eating or drinking? He looks alert. I would stop the aspirin, since it may cause more bleeding. Keep his wounds cleaned and covered with hen healer or triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. I would not put anyone with him now with all of the wounds and red skin, but can you separate him in a dog crate or behind fencing?

Are his flock mates the same age? How much room do they have? Are they under a bright light or heat?
Thanks. I put him alone in a brooder. Hes eating and drinking fine but he looks scared of all then other chicks now. I put hen healer on his head too.

All his cage mates are the same age and they used to have a mother but she stopped tending to them so i separated them.

They have no light or heat. There was 7 chicks including him in an average sized dog crate. They had been together since birth.He looks scared of his siblings now and when they free range he no longer runs with the others he just runs after me then flies up on me.

He may get lonely or not eat if he cannot see them. They make plastic poultry netting that is sold at Lowes, and you may find some netting or screen partition that could separate him next to the others. Small cages can work well too. If he is kept separate it could be even harder to reintegrate him.

He may get lonely or not eat if he cannot see them. They make plastic poultry netting that is sold at Lowes, and you may find some netting or screen partition that could separate him next to the others. Small cages can work well too. If he is kept separate it could be even harder to reintegrate him.
He can see them through the netting on the brooder and hear them too. Also I free range them daily under supervision for about 3 hours a day and all the chicks are able to be together then.

Back
Top Bottom