Help!

Ale_chick12

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I have 2 rhode island reds that are usually the sweetest gals. We got 2 new chicks this spring. A barred rock and a buff orpington they are 10 weeks old and we have been trying for weeks to mingle with the big girls. In the garden and also in the coop but separate. Everytime they get around each other one on my reds is a big bully to them! I have to separate them. Is this just a waiting game or will she always be mean to them? She hasn't shown any aggressive behavior towards any of us ever just these new chicks. Any advice welcome.

She pecks and grabs them by the neck especially the buff orpington. She has shaken her up good a couple of times. When they are free jn the garden there is a lot of room for them to stay separate and for the Littles to hide but if they cross paths for any reason the red will chase after them. Today I tried taking the partition fence from the bottom off and she got the buff and shook her up pretty good so I got her out. I don't have a picture now but they are in a low a frame coop that is supposed to be enough for up to 5 and they are only 4.

Post photos of the set up when you can, of the garden area too if that's a common space the two groups are using together.

The younger birds running when in the garden is a good thing, but they need to have space to escape in other shared spaces as well. I don't coop birds together until I know they can mostly get along outside of that.

Back
Top Bottom