Help...

tamelaschicks

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
DFW, TEXAS
I recently aquired some baby chicks, a few different breeds, and of a few weeks apart in age from 5 days old to a few weeks old. I have had them in the house and recently put them outside in our barn. I went out to feed them today and found that one of my younger chicks had it's rear-end bitten off! I have no idea what happend to it! I keep them all in a large cage so no other animals can get to them. One of the older ones had blood on its beak, and I saw it nipping at another one as well. What would cause this type of behavior, and I don't know if my chick will be okay or not. Any advice as to what to do, and why this happend?
Thank you so much in advance for your responses!

sad.png
Very Concerned,

Tamela

I would definately take the little one out of the cage, and put it alone. Try some neosporin on its little behind. Is it eating and drinking? Poor little one....I hope its ok! Maybe just pecked alot, not bitten off. Hmmmm. Not sure why chicks do that...too small a cage....stressed....many things can cause it.

Stress is a major factor. It could be too hot, too cold, too drafty, too crowded, not enough food or fresh water...
They could even be stressed from the move.
I agree with justusnak. Doctor it's little butt and when you eventually put it back with the others, use a red light so the picker can not see the the bald spot on the other one.
If you still have problems with the picker (sounds like it's picking others?) you may want to find another home for it.

I would sure take out the one with blood on it's beak. It will do doubt now peck the others. At least keep a close watch. Good Luck.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I separated the injured chicken and she is all healed up, she just needs her feathers to grow back.
smile.png

As for the other one with the bloody beak, she has not been aggressive at all towards any others. I have kept a very close eye on all of them. I really appreciate all your advice, I was very worried about her. For now, I have 8 chickens in a shared area of about 37' x 37' and a 10x16 barn; I am pretty sure this is plenty of space; The cage was for them to sleep in at night when I can't keep an eye on them. The cage is rather large too, and the chickens are still young; maybe there was a personality clash?

Thanks again!

smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom