Help!

MPLSHens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Ok, so my coop is very similar to the coop found here. I have the back divided with three boards to make four nesting boxes. My four hens are around 15 weeks old, but they all cram themselves into one box to sleep! I am worried they are going to suffocate themselves if they continue to sleep like this.

Is there any way I can intervene? I thought they didn't usually sleep in the nesting boxes at all? I tried putting them each in their own, but they just hopped back into one. It's not that cold, around 50 at night but they continue to do it!

Do you have a roost bar for them? If this is higher than the nest, they will sleep on that not in the nest box. You only need one or two nest boxes for four birds. You could take two or three nests out and put a roost instead. My three birds share one nest.

yep you need to give them a roost bar. One nest box is sufficient for the laying needs of four hens, so just use the other nest box space for a roost area. If you must, shut off the one box at night until they get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom