Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spring, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    So we got bantams in July. When should we be seeing eggs? The one bantam hen I have isn't laying much now. Is there a reason??

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Not enough sunlight, depending on where you are.

3. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Well.... I don't really know how to get them more in the sun. The coop is up against our garage and a lemon tree off to the side....

Any other ideas? So they are old enough to lay?

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I would think they would be laying. Different breeds start at different ages, some don't lay much anyway.

You could install a light in the coop. A lot of folks do in the winter to encourage laying.

Julie [​IMG]

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    it's not the location of the coop as much as time of year. If you are in the northern hemisphere, then it's winter time for you and the days are short. Chickens need 12-14 hours of sunlight daily to lay consistently.

If you want to jump start them, you can put a light in the coop on a timer to come on about 3-4 hours before sunrise and go off once sun is up to extend the light hours and fool the chickens into thinking spring is here.

Temps aren't as important as amount of daylight.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I got mine in July too which puts them around 25 weeks i think.
    Just last Sunday, got my first egg from one of the cochins and yesterday, got my first egg from a golden sebright.

I'm still waiting on the japanese.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I agree with Arlee. We put a light in our coop, and although they are not laying as much as in the summer, it's much more than without the light.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You should see things pick up in the spring. Days are too short right now and this is when hen's bodies need to rest. This will pay off in the long run because they will be healthier for it.
    JJ

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I live in not so sunny Upstate NY, and when my hens hit 19 wks. and no eggs, I told the hubby to install a light. Once it was in, 3 weeks later I had eggs. So I do believe it was of some help, even if you are in Florida!

Stephanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by