1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hypnofrogstevie, Feb 16, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My mom just bought hom a baby beagle pup with cut paws. She was found on the side of the road. She has a collar but no tag. She is bringing home another one in a few secs. What should I do to keep her calm?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh poor thing, you probably know more about dogs than I do - its going to be tough to keep those little paws clean, might have to clean them a few times a day I would think!
    I hope they're not TOO badly hurt!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  3. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I used peroxide on the paws with papertowles. The tail is bloody. She is so cute. Has to be 2 months old. I am thinking of going on craigslist and seeing if they lost a dog. And ask them to describe the collar so I dont get people that will steal it

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Just got the second dog. They are so adorable. They look like my beagle homer [​IMG]. Poor things have thorns in there ears and on there body

5. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Good job. Keep feet clean with peroxide. Can use antibiotic ointment, i.e. neosporin on other cuts, but they will probably lick it off. [​IMG]

If you advertise for owners, you can also ask they bring a picture with them (or email you one) if they come look at the dog and you can verify ownership in addition to describing the collar.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Peroxide will actually damage raw skin. Dilute it with sterile water. You can also make your own saline and rinse them. 1 tbsp salt and boiled in a quart of water. Cool before using. Iodine wash would be good too. The peroxide has a real burn to it on an open wound.

7. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    We rescued a Dane when I was younger who had problems with his toe nails falling out due to malnutrition. When we needed to clean the area/put neosporin on, we wrapped it lightly with gauze and then fashioned an old sock around it. (Fitting it to the foot with tape so it didn't slip off) He was peeved having it on his foot for a few minutes before forgetting it all together. If you want to keep some antibiotic ointment on the feet wounds, I'd suggest that so they don't lick it off and it keeps the area clean [​IMG]

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    thank you missprissy. I did not know that

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    The ad was placed on craigslist. Hopefully the owners where see it. I feel so sad wondering if there is a little girl or boy who is missing her pups [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I LOVE vet wrap! You could always clean the paws, wrap them with gauze and then make little booties out of vet wrap. That is what we would do for the dogs with paw injuries at the vet office in blairstown that I used to work for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by